Need to remove wardrobe due to safety issue, how do I cope with mother when she notices?

taliahad

Nov 22, 2021
Hi
My mum and dad bought some very large and heavy Victorian bedroom furniture when they married way back in 1958, mum still has this furniture. The trouble is that she has recently started to remember that my dad used to keep some cash in there, in some hidden compartment on the very top and she has started to look for it. She tries to get things to stand on and climb up in order to search for the money. This can't go on, if that wardrobe falls on her, it will kill her and a fall from whatever she is standing on won't do her any good either, so the poor wardrobe has to go. Now this is a massive item and she has had it for 64 years, how do I deal with this? Thank you

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
How long do you think this obsession will go on for. Is it worth looking yourself and 'finding' some money. Do you think that would stop her searching?

taliahad

Nov 22, 2021
Hi and thanks for the very speedy reply. I have no idea how long this latest obsession will go on for, it doesn't happen every day but it's increasing. i don't think I can take the risk, I can't guarantee that me or whoever is with her will notice in time, what she's up to in time. I think the wardrobe has to go, sadly. I'm rather fond of it

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
An off the wall idea.
Does the wardrobe come to pieces?
Could the top be lowered? To a "safe" level.
This would allow Mum to search in safety.

Bod.

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
Hi
My mum and dad bought some very large and heavy Victorian bedroom furniture when they married way back in 1958, mum still has this furniture. The trouble is that she has recently started to remember that my dad used to keep some cash in there, in some hidden compartment on the very top and she has started to look for it. She tries to get things to stand on and climb up in order to search for the money. This can't go on, if that wardrobe falls on her, it will kill her and a fall from whatever she is standing on won't do her any good either, so the poor wardrobe has to go. Now this is a massive item and she has had it for 64 years, how do I deal with this? Thank you
I hate to say get an axe and chop it up, although it's what my Dad did to help me out once when I needed to get rid of a tall, heavy piece of furniture left behind by my ex husband. It sounds as if this Victorian wardrobe may be an antique or collectible piece.

Can you get an antiques dealer in to give you an estimate on its worth? If the piece is in decent condition, some of these people may pay you good money and remove it on the spot (so no time for Mum to argue with them) without harm to your property. While doing the estimate, they can inspect any hidey-holes under your supervision, so you can reassure Mum its been thoroughly cleaned out. The check they pay you for it may console your Mum for the loss as well.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I think you may have to bite the bullet and get it taken away when she is not around. She will be angry however you do it. But you are right to intervene to protect her safety.

taliahad

Nov 22, 2021
Thanks for your thoughts. The wardrobe has to go, even if we did manage to fix it to the wall, it wouldn't stop her finding something to climb on to search it. I just don't know how I'm going to explain this to her, she will notice it's absence and she will be very upset. I need to deal with that.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thanks for your thoughts. The wardrobe has to go, even if we did manage to fix it to the wall, it wouldn't stop her finding something to climb on to search it. I just don't know how I'm going to explain this to her, she will notice it's absence and she will be very upset. I need to deal with that.
Might it develop woodworm and have to be sent away for treatment?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I had to remove dad's chest of drawers for a different reason . He noticed and went on about it for a while but soon forgot.

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
Hi

Could you tell her it needed fixing ? and you had to send it away? Dad spent ages looking for a gym bag once, we never found it to be fair or worked out what it looked like but he was searching and asking us for what felt like a fair while, eventually I just said I thought my brother had borrowed it. After a bit of why would he borrow it? it was then forgotten about and its never been mentioned since.

taliahad

Nov 22, 2021
Thanks everyone. I like the idea of sending it away for repairs. I've removed other things that have caused problems but this wardrobe is massive but I'll tell her it needed fixing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhubarb1989