Need to get a Stair Lift - Fast

Annimar

Oct 12, 2016
Hi there I am new to this site I currently care for my mum who has lewy body dementia - she had a mini stroke about 10 days ago and is currently in hospital.

We applied for a stair lift and were declined due to her medical conditions blah blah, the council OT supplied us with a chemical toilet for use downstairs (mum will not use this and I dont blame her it is stuck in a little cupboard). Advice from OT if she will not use it then the family will have to move house (helpful !).

The hospital have said today that we need to either make conversions to the house or organise a stair lift (which the physio at the hospital is more than happy for mum to use as she is never left alone in the house). What I need to know is where do I start looking for this - Should I avoid any companies - do we rent (is this possible) with a view to getting a bathroom in downstairs whilst renting, what is average cost?, Time scale for fitting?

Sorry 101 questions and where do you get information from!

Annimar:eek:

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
I got quotes from three other companies, but went with a new Stannah - the most expensivee- because I have a turn on the last three steps and their rail would go closer to the wall - my staircase is quite narrow and, if the chair is at the top of the stairs, it's a bit of a struggle to get round it to go downstairs. It cost around £5500 - according to Which magazine, every curve significantly increases the price. It took three weeks from ordering to delivery; the two pieces of the rail did not match so it was taken out, re-measured a few days later and re-made so that was another three weeks.

Unless you have a straight run from top to bottom, you may find it difficult to get a re-conditioned lift, but I think they will all you a reconditioned seat which will reduce the cost a bit.

Stairlifts run on direct current so you need a socket fairly near the bottom of the lift to plug in the transformer/battery charger.

All the companies I spoke to (one was Acorn and I can't remember the third) were wary about fitting stairlifts for pwds. It will have a key so you can lock it to stop your pwd (and visiting small people) using it unsupervised.

Last edited:

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
When my Mum became very ill over the summer and was barely able to move, her social worker was very much against the idea of a stair lift as she thought it would be more of a danger than a help (not just for Mum but for anyone helping Mum to get on it/stay on it). Her suggestion was a bed for the downstairs and a commode.

Fortunately Mum got more mobile but we still have the commode and also got a very good quality sofa bed for emergency use (with a view to getting a hospital bed if it became a long term issue). I am wondering if having your Mum sleep downstairs might be a cheaper option (and quicker to implement)? Hopefully your Mum will improve and become mobile enough to get upstairs over time. It's not great to lose your living room but sometimes needs must :(

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Our OT recommended a company in Glasgow which sells reconditioned stairlifts which they then maintain once installed. The cost quoted to me was just under a £1000 so you might Google your area and see if such a company exists locally. Read any reviews on their website.

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
Spending thousands on a new stairlift when you at your most vulnerable point is where the stairlift Companies excel, and I'm guessing it's when they make the majority of their sales too. I've seen several stairlift given away barely used after they have had them installed for an ailing relative who has since passed away. Several of these recycled stairlifts come from homes on the same estate where the footprint & layout of the houses are the same as the house it's going into which means very little is required to fit it. It maybe slightly unrealistic timewise there's bound to be someone in your local community who is ripping out a stairlift and is desperate to dispose of it. Especially if someone is willing to go take it out for them. So I'd suggest looking at local freecycle pages, local FB groups or community support groups. So make some enquiries and you may get lucky

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
I found two companies local to me who sold a variety of lifts and other helpful kit. They were very knowledgeable and helpful, helped me to choose then installed it, and have been great in maintaining it since then. It's worth looking locally if you can, I think.

Rodelinda

Jun 15, 2015
Suffolk
Clearly stair lifts are great for many people but just a word of caution. We were looking at stairlifts about 3 years ago and got quotes (we do have awkward stairs) and about to go ahead when my mother had a fall and was in hospital for a time. When she came out, OT came round to the house to advise and said that a stair lift was out of the question. Space was quite limited on the landing so some dexterity would be needed, my mother was developing cognition problems and her mobility was limited and they felt that even if it helped in the very short term (assuming she could operate it) it wouldn't be long before it was a white elephant.

So we went for the bed downstairs and made changes to the loo by extending it slightly, moving the washbasin and installing a small shower (which she hates).

Many stairlifts get used only for a very short time given the likely deterioration for those they are built for. You might be lucky. But I would advise that you get a community OT to come and look at the house before making a purchase (hospitals are understandably keen to move out those who no longer need primary care and may not necessarily have the practical, on the ground experience that the community team has). All the best. Sue

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm assuming, since you mention a chemical toilet, that there is no accessible loo on the ground floor?

Annimar

Oct 12, 2016
Many thanks

Unfortunately bathroom is upstairs and currently no facilities downstairs - this is the reason for the slight panic.

Many thanks to all who have replied, I think I will speak to the physio in hospital again today to get a clearer picture of things and then take on board some of your comments.

Thanks

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
If you are thinking about having a stair lift please try to do a dummy run with the patient beforehand (IF YOU CAN DO THIS SAFELY!!!:eek:).

We always knew stair lifts would be a "no no" for Mum. She gets motion sickness very easily and she's completely unpredictable (eg reversing on the stairs while half-way up).

Pinkys

Nov 13, 2014
South of England
I strongly suggest you get the commitment to buy it back in writing. A friend spent several thousand on a stair lift, and though her husband only used it for a month, they only offered £600 to buy it back. A bit far from the 'up to 2/3 ' and at least '£2000' that had been stated. Sharks, taking advantage of bereavement.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Annimar . I got a stairlift installed a couple of years ago . My staircase is long with curves so it was a bit more bespoke than more traditional ones . It took 2 weeks from initial planning and installation and I was able to rent rather than buy . This has worked out better as it would have been in excess of £6000 to pay and a hefty bill every year to service it , so I thought this would be better . The button on the arm has been disconnected and myself or my mums carer use the remote control to help my mum go down or upstairs . My mum feels secure and I have never had any worries . It has been a godsend to us and has enabled my mum to stay in her house . Best wishes , Lou