Need information

christmas

Apr 27, 2014
Leicestershire
Hi everyone can you please help me , Peter is being paided for by the council now has I took is money down below what he needed to before we stopped paying , I want to know if I can use some of the money he has left to buy gifts for my grandchildren ,my granddaughter is 18 and wants to buy a car ,Peter always said he would give her some money towards it but I don't know if I am aloud to take any out I cannot give it her because I can't afford it now Peter's home took most of the money he had ,I didn't have a lot of my own thank you love Christmas hugs to you all xxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi @christmas
This is something I have always wondered myself, so I have erred on the side of caution since mum lost capacity, and have not given gifts. However this is a personal decision of mine.
As I understand it, if you have power of attorney, you are allowed to give reasonable gifts, that you know the person with dementia would themselves have given, at expected times such as Christmas, Eid etc. However, you mustn't overdo it and certainly must ensure that the person whose money you are looking after, will not run short of funds themselves.
There are lots of tips in this government document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...pg2-giving-gifts-for-someone-else-web-version

I hope someone with direct experience will be able to advise further, as I haven't done this myself.
All the best
Lindy xx

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I tend to stick to what has been done in the past. So, if a present of £50 has been given every Christmas for the past few years...that’s what I do.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Hi everyone can you please help me , Peter is being paided for by the council now has I took is money down below what he needed to before we stopped paying , I want to know if I can use some of the money he has left to buy gifts for my grandchildren ,my granddaughter is 18 and wants to buy a car ,Peter always said he would give her some money towards it but I don't know if I am aloud to take any out I cannot give it her because I can't afford it now Peter's home took most of the money he had ,I didn't have a lot of my own thank you love Christmas hugs to you all xxx

Just how it is!! I glanced at the topic for this thread and saw the words " Christmas, Yesterday" and thought Oh, Heck! I've missed it !!!!!!