Need help with how to deal with my Nan’s fixation

Rebecca_99

Jul 12, 2021
My Nan has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s for a few years now but has recently been getting a lot worse.
She gets obsessed over certain things for weeks on end and we can all tell it causes her a lot of stress and anxiety. We all want to help relieve her of this stress but nothing we are doing at the moment seems to be helping.
Currently she is obsessing over her and my grandads cat. She doesn’t go 20 minutes without leaving the cat alone or sweeping each room searching for him. And then either thinks he’s run away and got hit by a car or when she’s with him thinks he’s ill (when he’s not) or won’t put him down, which then distresses the cat. We try and tell her that he’s fit and healthy or that he’s probably having a nap somewhere under a bush in their garden but it doesn’t seem to settle her anxiety. My grandad tries to step in and divert her attention as much as possible when she’s obsessing over the cat but at the moment nothing seems to be working too well. Any tips or advice would be hugely appreciated!

ganymede

Apr 28, 2021
@Rebecca_99 could you keep a nice framed photo handy in a drawer (or somewhere she won't come across it all the time) so that when she asks about the cat, you or your grandad can whip out the photo, give it to her and start a conversation about how lovely the cat is?

It might not help, of course - she might still want to know where the actual cat is - but perhaps if she's thinking of the cat, a photo might be enough of a distraction, and make her happy that she can see him?