Need help for my mum

Lily may

Mar 11, 2018
Hi I’m new here my mum is 67 years old and has all the symptoms of Alzheimer’s, we have taken her to the doctors, where she past a certain test and was told to take home a form to fill in for therapy? Of course the following day she said what form and for what? The doctor won’t diagnose this but she will have the same conversation with me three times over in the space of half an hour. I’m not sure how to get a diagnoses or help for her. Any advice would be appreciated

Lancashirelady

Oct 7, 2014
You should ask for a referral to the memory clinic. They will at least give you a proper diagnosis and access to suitable meds, evidence for attendance allowance and support from social services, if you haven't already had any of these.

Lily may

Mar 11, 2018
Thankyou for this is there a link to this memory clinic? I will look into this as getting nowhere with doctors

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Lily may
and welcome to TP
a referral to your local memory clinic comes through the GP
as you're not entirely sure what was the outcome of the last visit your mum had to her GP, it may be worth writing out a list of all the changes in your mum's behaviour and her ability to do everyday tasks (think of her 1,2,3 years ago and compare) together with all your concerns, then send this to her GP - the GP may not be able to discuss your mum's health with you, due to patient confidentiality, but any info you give them will be noted on her records - maybe keep a diary over a couple of weeks so that you have specific and recent examples
you might ask the GP to invite your mum in for a 'well woman' appointment; could you go with her so that you hear what is actually said, and can indicate to the GP when your mum is not quite giving the whole picture - or if your mum is happy to visit the GP, suggest to her she go for some reason she will accept eg a review of current medication
if your mum is happy to have you support her, she can write a letter to her GP saying she gives her permission for you to be involved in her care and for the GP to talk with you about her health and be involved in making appointments and be present at consultations

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Lily may, a welcome to TP from me too.
In case your mum won’t write the type of letter suggested for the GP I would just like to recall how I got my foot in the door, as it were, with my wife’s GP. I used to take my wife to the surgery for routine appointments and the system in the surgery was for the relevant doctor to put his/her head out their door and call the next patient in. As she got out of her seat I would ask my wife to ask the doctor if I could accompany her in case she needed help. Neither my wife nor the doctor ever refused and that was how I got my say and got the long road to diagnosis started.