Need help finding care for a loved one, in France.

marty_r

Aug 18, 2013
Hi all,

This is my first post, so 'hello' to every one. Admin, I am not sure if this post is in the correct forum area. If not, apologies and could you please move it to the relevant area.

My granddad lives away from home (we live in England) in France and has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Unfortunately it is not possible to return him home (I would love to have him back :( ). An additional complication is that his girlfriend is also very ill and unable to care for him due to her illness. His girlfriends carers do make an effort with him, but I would feel much more comfortable about the situation if he had some one specifically there to assist him.

My family and I are prepared to pay if needs be, even if we can only afford a couple of visits per week. Any advice would be appreciated, or people with similar stories they could share. I have no idea where to go with this problem.

Thank you.

Forestridge

Feb 10, 2013
When my MIL was initially ill living in Spain we ended up ringing the English Embassy over there who were very helpful and pointed us innthe right direction.

missmarple

Jan 14, 2013
Hi I didn t want to just read and run, I was in a similar situation with my grandfather a few years ago, he had Parkinson's and after my gran died it got much worse. They were French. At the time I had a baby, then another and felt really torn. Basically I helped in maintaining him at home as long as possible ( but while living in the UK - lots of visits to France). In France I believe carers are organised via the town hall ( his brother in law took care of that bit). But inevitably he got frailer and more confused and we were forced to look at nursing home. Like many French persons my grandparents were members of a mutuelle ( kind of like a trade union and health insurance in one), his mutuelle has nursing homes and I had to arrange for him to be admitted, after he got cancer as well. I believe nursing homes are cheaper, and possibly often better over there.

Nix

Mar 12, 2012
Hi there,

I'm in France and it is possible to sort out carers for your Dad. Contacting the Maire is the most straight forward option but could take a while or, if you could manage to pop over for a few days, take him to his GP and get the ball rolling with them.

Which Dept is he in?