Need for a wheelchair?

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
My wife is now getting more and more housebound and though we have a car when we reach our destination she is unable to walk far. I was wondering if having s wheelchair to take her around would give her some enjoyment again. I would appreciate your views as my wife is just coming to 60 years and she has been diagnosed about 3 years. I don't want it to be a step back.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I use a wheelchair at times for my husband but I want him to stay mobile so he walks with two sticks most of the time. He cannot walk far which has put a stop to his epic wandering in the early years of his diagnosis.

I find that our local shopping mall will lend me a wheelchair through Shopmobility so there is no need to take one there. Also if you go into stores like Tesco. They have their own wheelchairs which they will lend you.

I do find pushing the chair hard work if we go for a walk so I try to avoid hills and rough ground.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
I use a wheelchair at times for my husband but I want him to stay mobile so he walks with two sticks most of the time. He cannot walk far which has put a stop to his epic wandering in the early years of his diagnosis.

I find that our local shopping mall will lend me a wheelchair through Shopmobility so there is no need to take one there. Also if you go into stores like Tesco. They have their own wheelchairs which they will lend you.

I do find pushing the chair hard work if we go for a walk so I try to avoid hills and rough ground.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
Yes you're right. I want my wife to be as mobile as possible. I will think on this. My wife used to sing and dance on her meanderings earlier on. The neighbours were very good in informing me if she had left the house.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Mum and I would never have managed without a wheelchair in the last few years. She had a knee replacement about 9 years ago and we bought a wheeler which you can also sit on. That was great for a couple of years then she started getting very tired and her legs ached - she was by then getting on for 90. We used to borrow one in Tesco and that was great so I bought a lightweight folding one to keep in carboot and that really made going places much easier. We could go along promenades at the seaside and manage shopping centres without her being worn out and we had some lovely trips out.

I would say give it a try!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband is 63 and his mobility has declined quite a bit since last spring. Before Xmas I bought a wheelchair which will fit easily into the car boot, but so far it hasn't been used. I want to keep him mobile for as long as possible but feel that I (and he) need the option of the wheelchair to fall back on.

I think it will be particularly useful for busier areas such as going around garden centres, shopping centres, day trips to the coast and some of the larger local parks. I find these excursions have become less enjoyable for him because he spends so much time concentrating on walking and avoiding obstacles that he has no time to actually relax and enjoy his surroundings.

When the warmer weather comes I believe the wheelchair will bring back a lot of enjoyment for him on these kind of days out. I will still be taking him out for shorter walks and trips to keep him mobile - but having the wheelchair makes it possible to do that bit extra when we want to.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
Mum and I would never have managed without a wheelchair in the last few years. She had a knee replacement about 9 years ago and we bought a wheeler which you can also sit on. That was great for a couple of years then she started getting very tired and her legs ached - she was by then getting on for 90. We used to borrow one in Tesco and that was great so I bought a lightweight folding one to keep in carboot and that really made going places much easier. We could go along promenades at the seaside and manage shopping centres without her being worn out and we had some lovely trips out.

Yes I just feel she is getting a little isolated. Maybe she would come out with me more often.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
My husband is 63 and his mobility has declined quite a bit since last spring. Before Xmas I bought a wheelchair which will fit easily into the car boot, but so far it hasn't been used. I want to keep him mobile for as long as possible but feel that I (and he) need the option of the wheelchair to fall back on.

I think it will be particularly useful for busier areas such as going around garden centres, shopping centres, day trips to the coast and some of the larger local parks. I find these excursions have become less enjoyable for him because he spends so much time concentrating on walking and avoiding obstacles that he has no time to actually relax and enjoy his surroundings.

When the warmer weather comes I believe the wheelchair will bring back a lot of enjoyment for him on these kind of days out. I will still be taking him out for shorter walks and trips to keep him mobile - but having the wheelchair makes it possible to do that bit extra when we want to.
Yes. I agree. Thank you.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
I'm not quite sure if my wife will go for this. I can only try. Any idea anyone if you can get financial help for a wheelchair?

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It might be worth getting an OT assessment, that can lead to free equipment. I have heard that you can also borrow wheelchairs from the Red Cross and Age UK. Others have also said in the past that they have found wheelchairs for sale in various charity shops.

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
You can indeed borrow wheelchairs from the Red Cross - useful to see if PWD will accept using one. We were also able to buy a second hand one from them for £50 as they had more than they needed at that time. Enquire locally.

Only comment I would make otherwise is that my mum seems very sensitive to all the bumps in the pavement when in the chair so she is happier in a garden centre or supermarket than outside.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
It might be worth getting an OT assessment, that can lead to free equipment. I have heard that you can also borrow wheelchairs from the Red Cross and Age UK. Others have also said in the past that they have found wheelchairs for sale in various charity shops.
Thanks for that. I will look into that.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
You can indeed borrow wheelchairs from the Red Cross - useful to see if PWD will accept using one. We were also able to buy a second hand one from them for £50 as they had more than they needed at that time. Enquire locally.

Only comment I would make otherwise is that my mum seems very sensitive to all the bumps in the pavement when in the chair so she is happier in a garden centre or supermarket than outside.
I can imagine my wife would be the same. I will look into this as well as secondhand. Thank you!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
After an OT assessment my husband was given his two sticks and a rollator which he never learned to use. I was told to
Phone up when I thought he was ready for a wheelchair and I did. NHS - no charge.

Marks Way

Jan 7, 2018
After an OT assessment my husband was given his two sticks and a rollator which he never learned to use. I was told to
Phone up when I thought he was ready for a wheelchair and I did. NHS - no charge.
Thank you for that information.

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Ask GP for a referral to wheelchair services, who will do an assessment and possibly provide a wheelchair free of charge.

I've been using a wheelchair for 13 years now due to MS and it's not a step back but is a liberation. However I'd ask your wife for her views if she is capable of making them known.

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
I bought a folding wheelchair for my mum I paid £10 for it at a carboot sale and it looks brand new even the wheels look like they had never seen the outside. Mum has enjoyed going out to shops as she can not walk to far these days

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
i had suggested that my wife could push the wheelchair like a walker,then sit in it to rest,i totally agree with the cheap secondhand option,till you know if it will work or not.