need advice

wingedone

Jun 30, 2004
Califormia
If anyone out there can help me with suggestions or advice....My father has been diagonsed with dementia, and his wife has sold his house that was to be saved until he needed medical retirment funds as his dementia is get worse monthly. My Dad's atterney had told both my father and his wife they were not to sell the house and that "we" his 5 kids wanted it to be saved for his future need, i.e. if we have to sell it to pay for his care and special housing needs in the future. The house which was part of my family's trust, and did not include my dad's new wife. The trust was being rewritten by my dad's atterney who's been working on it for one year already. There were questions about appointing new trustees for our family trust and this finally was done through my determination, two months ago, yet the papers were still not signed as of the 14th of June 2004.

During this period of time that the lawer had been working on this trust but not quite finished the paper work, my dad's wife convinced my dad that it was ok to sell this house and there for my dad signed the papers. He can not remember any details about the selling of the house or the realitors that were used. He is not able to reason for himself as to if it was a wise thing for him to have sold his only asset.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thank you,
Wingedone

betty2

Jun 14, 2004
some help maybe

I,m sorry but I have no knowlegde that can help you, however i suggest, depending on your financial situation, you get another lawyer, or go to your local citizens advice bureau, who should be able to appoint a solicitor to help you.

On the face of it it appears that it is a complex situation and I really think you need indepenent advice, even from your current family lawyer.

hope this helps

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
As you live in the U.S. I am sure that different conditions apply there, but you may have the equivalent of our advisory body the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

I'd be getting legal advice as to the validity of your father's signature on any legal documents. Since you already had an attorney who can vouch for your father's condition, and the advice that he gave that was not heeded, you may be able to do something there.

Sounds like a nasty situation and I wish you the best in trying to sort it out.

wingedone

Jun 30, 2004
Califormia
Thanks

Betty2 & Brucie,

Thank you for your support and advice. You both suggested the local citizens advice bureau which I had not heard about. I will contact them.

Thank you,
Laura (wingedone)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Laura

Remember that we are in the UK, and things are always different across country boundaries!

There may not be such a thing as the Citizen's Advice Bureau in California, or there may be something similar in function that has a different name.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes