Need advice

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Got a team leader who thinks she knows everything telling me that we can't use a spoon for drinks got to use a large beaker and if she asleep can't touch her on even hold her hand in case I wake her can't brng drinks in so I got to sit quite and do nothing she refuses to contact salt team about protein drinks even know she not eating I got a power of attorney for my mum and when I bring up problems about the care home she changes the subject getting feed up of going to the care home only to be given the riot act by this team leader who got no sympathy for any of her residents in my opinion

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Got a team leader who thinks she knows everything telling me that we can't use a small spoon for drinks got to use a large beaker

Have SALT changed their statement in the discharge note?

Mum been in hospital with throat problems now back in care home but salt team put in the discharge letter that only carers or nurses can feed or drink to my mum and I'm no longer allowed as they don't want me to be responsible if something goes wrong

Also her drink got to be down on a spoon and no longer though a cup and thickner must be used

<click on little up arrows to see 15/11/17 posts>

she refuses to contact salt team about protein drinks even know she not eating

The GP can prescribe protein drinks.
In my area you can self refer to SALT, if you are able do this stress it's swallowing problems with risk of aspiration not speech problems. Again in my area there is a 4 hour rapid response for swallowing problems.
The SALT team now responsible may not be the team attached to the hospital.

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Discharge letter unclear nurse up hospital told me uses mall spoon as told was safest thing to use as only little amounts going into her mouth at one time using plenty of thickner

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you still have that SALT member's details, contact her. If you don't, get a new referral or contact them directly. Or contact the GP. You do not need to wait for that team leader to do something.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Discharge letter is unclear only says no spout or straw used a small spoon as told was safest thing to use as only little amounts going into her mouth at one time using plenty of thickner as well but she would rather use a big beaker which makes her cough and increases the risk team leader has had run ins with other families who think she to commanding even the carers don't like her since she arrived every day there is some drama it's like a prison now won't be long before they search you before you go in and out

Any method of giving fluid that can propel it to the back of the throat has an increased risk of aspiration for people with impaired swallowing.

An email to the home management, copy to head office if a chain, stating that if the team leader insists on ignoring the recent SALT recommendation on hospital discharge, and your Mum suffers from aspirational pneumonia, you will formally query whether the correct steps to prevent this had been taken would not go amiss..

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thanks for the advice got to go to gp on Wednesday for myself s i ask him as he our family gp​

If your LPA is health and welfare, and you have not register this with the practise, take this with you else the GP may not discuss anything about your Mum.

Mrnkar

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone tell me what SALT means as it on my father's CHC assessment. He does have thickened fluids due to dysphagia. Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Speech And Language Therapy. It's the people who deal with problems with eating, drinking and swallowing.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can someone tell me what SALT means as it on my father's CHC assessment. He does have thickened fluids due to dysphagia. Thanks

Speech And Language Therapy

As well as covering the obvious speech impairments it also covers difficulty with swallowing.

Do the various muscles work correctly, is there a chance of food going down the airway instead of the digestive tract?

Mrnkar

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. From what i can gather he coughs and chokes alot from fluid in his lungs and repeated chest infections. The problem is that although he should be on thickened fluids this is not always carried out in the hospital, he is in, as witnessed by a Social Worker and myself. At his CHC assessment the nurse wasn't even sure whether or not he was still on thickened fluids.
He doesn't have any problems with speech. I couldn't even make out what was wrote, i thought it said SACT.

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there - I am shocked reading this and I also feel you need to speak to the GP and contact the management of the Home. This team lead has not got your mums best interests in mind.

And has for being told not to touch your mum or hold her hand in case she wakes up - What!!?? ( wanted to swear there). I am so shocked you have been told this. I sit there holding and stroking my mums hand all the time. Mums cares have said she will know its me - not sure about that but I hope so - but its important to me regardless. Shes my mum! Im sorry but in your position I would be there holding and stroking your mums hand and if she does wake up you can chat to her/ sing to her/ read the newspaper or book etc.

Please please raise this further at the home and with GP. Hugs x

thinking of you xx