Need advice re new PC

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We really need to get a new PC as the old one is failing fast. But I am in a quandary as I would like to avoid Microsoft but am not sure how OH with AD will adjust to the change and how he will cope with a Mac.

He can still manage emails, searches and uses Skype but can now have problems using the printer and gets confused with permission to update programs, etc and certainly can't do things like deleting cookies or anything slightly complicated.

He still plays bridge but with varying degrees of success and failure and of course, there are quite a few other players who also have different types of dementia so there is not too much pressure.

So I would welcome advice from others who have had to update their computers and would really appreciate your suggestions before I start researching products and prices.

Thanks.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You don't say what the current operating system is but you do infer that you don't want extra capabilities, you just want it to work like it did, it may be possible to keep the current system and give it a good clean out.

Whatever new system you get the big change is going to be the GUI (graphical user interface) although Windows 10 now can look like Windows 7 out of the box and any version of Windows from W7 onwards can be customised to look like your favourite start menu http://www.classicshell.net/

Microsoft also have a habit of renaming things and moving them around which can make changing OS frustrating.

I assume you are not considering Linux.

I know virtually nothing about Macs but the odd time I am confronted with one I find it very confusing.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thanks for that information.

We have currently Vista and have heard that Windows 7 & 8 are not exactly problem free, friends have Mac and love it and I can't say that I know anything about Linux.

I already have to spend time rescuing OH when he runs into trouble with the PC so I guess anything new is going to be problematic and I will have to help him anyway.

I use an iPad all the time and love it and I understand that a PC is going to different but I also know that because of his AD, OH could well lose the ability to use a computer quite soon. So my reasoning is that as it is an expensive item, I might as well get what I think will ultimately suit me best.

Will look into Linux though. Would never have even thought about it so thanks.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
If you are thinking of Linux then it comes in different formats. You would probably find Ubuntu the simplest to change to if you are familiar with Windows and any good PC tech should be able to build you a PC with the spec you want (size of hard drive, quality of sound and graphics card etc) You can always change it later. I started with Ubuntu then went through various distros and ended up with Manjaro but I could quite happily have stayed with Ubuntu - I just fancied learning different ones!
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I only know of one distro (distribution) of Linux that is not free, this means that you can try several. You can even run Linux from a CD to have a quick look, it does not interfere with your installed OS, search on Linux Live. Staying with the Ubunto suggestion http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

You may find that replacing Vista with Linux will give you what you want, to do this I would make a bootable system image and do a clean install of your chosen Linux, this way if you don't like Linux you can go back to Vista.

If you decide on a new system with Linux any small independent computer shop should set it all up to your requirements if you buy the hardware from them.

Last edited: