Need advice please

Gillyp

Sep 4, 2019
I need a bit of advice here please. Mum in law has lived with us 12 years with Alzheimers. She knows who we are, she has good hours and then just as quick bad hours (totally on board with the disease and I do know what to expect)
Problem is she has had, for several months now, sores on her body, back, bottom, upper legs, and arms. I have had the nurse out (cant seem to get near a GP !!) to her who prescribed Cetirizine (which doesn't help) I have had creams and lotions, I dress her lower arms (which is the worst as she can reach them) She pulls down the dressings and picks the sores and makes them bleed every day within and hour of me dressing them.

She is bored, so she picks !! I have tried distractions, books, photo albums, she destroys them almost immediately and then creates because someone has done this !!. (I get the backlash of everything and am so tired) She has one of them hand muffs with activities on it to distract her, I cant find it in her room.

I have Alexa in her room for music, she has a tv but wont watch it. She wont come out of her room. I am at my wits end, I simply do not know what to do next.
Any ideas ? Tia xxxx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
A few years ago my wife was breaking my heart with the amount of tearing she was doing to herself so I know how you feel.

I used all of the tactics you are using and added anti anxiety meds on top and I finally solved the issue. I wonder if it would be possible for you to have a phone consultation with the GP about meds. If you have a Social Worker they may be able to get the GP to ring you - mine was able to do that.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My mother was a picker- its the most frustrating thing ever.

Contact the nurse/GP again- they need treating/healing with something that does work.

How do you currently dress her arms? Would long tubi-grip type stuff help? Right down to her knuckles with thum holes, covered with a long sleeved top & cardi so less accessible?

Gillyp

Sep 4, 2019
My mother was a picker- its the most frustrating thing ever.

Contact the nurse/GP again- they need treating/healing with something that does work.

How do you currently dress her arms? Would long tubi-grip type stuff help? Right down to her knuckles with thum holes, covered with a long sleeved top & cardi so less accessible?

Gillyp

Sep 4, 2019
I dress her arms with bandage then green line tubi grip. I make a fingerless glove out of it too and tape all edges but she just pulls and pulls it till its all around her wrist. I am an ex paediatric nurse and I used to do the dressing clinic with very clever children so i know the tricks lol. I went into her room the other day and both arms from elbow to fingertips were bright red with blood and it was dripping down her arms. I will try calling the surgery again tomorrow but am not feeling hopeful. thank you x

Gillyp

Sep 4, 2019
A few years ago my wife was breaking my heart with the amount of tearing she was doing to herself so I know how you feel.

I used all of the tactics you are using and added anti anxiety meds on top and I finally solved the issue. I wonder if it would be possible for you to have a phone consultation with the GP about meds. If you have a Social Worker they may be able to get the GP to ring you - mine was able to do that.
We spoke to a social worker twice in the last 12 years, am afraid they just seemed to let me get on with it. I will try to go down the meds route too. She only has Aspirin and Furosemide as well as the Cetirizine and Oramorph. Thank you