need advice on what to do

louas1961

Nov 3, 2012
East Mids
My mum has alzheimers, she lives with her partner who is in hospital with a nasty infection. Mum isn't coping very well at home and thought she had lost him, we are going to speak to social services (not had to do this yet) and ask for help, is there anything else anyone can suggest to help us, thank you

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I'm not well informed about services available in hospitals but will bump you up in the hope someone has info.

count2ten

Dec 13, 2013
My mum has alzheimers, she lives with her partner who is in hospital with a nasty infection. Mum isn't coping very well at home and thought she had lost him, we are going to speak to social services (not had to do this yet) and ask for help, is there anything else anyone can suggest to help us, thank you

If your mum's partner is her main carer I would suggest informing the ward to notify the hospital discharge team so that an urgent assessment can be undertaken and services provided to support your mum while her carer is in hospital, and maybe ongoing afterwards depending on the outcome. The local authority will have a social work team based either in the hospital or in the community, but they have a duty to assess and provide services if your mum and partner meet the criteria, which it sounds like they do. Services can be either domiciliary support with things at home, or possibly respite in a care home if your mum is at risk if she stays on her own. Hopefully others on here will have advice and their experiences to offer as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo