Need advice on assessments

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
Thought I'd update anyone following this thread...

I went to see mum and aunt today. Aunt was visibly agitated and unsettled and immediately started talking about "going down the hill to see the doctor in the hospital". She seemed to be expecting me to take her. There is no hospital down the hill anyway.

I tried the usual agreement and distraction techniques but at one point she put on her boots and coat and headed for the front door, which was locked. In the end she seemed to give up and had some lunch.

Her behaviour did make me wonder if a UTI is a possibility, but as she's unwilling to discuss anything with a GP or nurse, I feel the only thing I can do at the moment is make sure my mum monitors her closely and is prepared to call 111 if she suddenly takes a turn for the worse. I have ordered some urine testing strips which I'll give to my mum in the hope she might find a way to carry out a test at home. At least that would put my mind at rest about an infection.

I've submitted the GP registration papers, but it's going to take at least 30 days. In the meantime I'll contact the local SS and see if they will agree to book a care assessment for both of them.

The next few weeks should be interesting.

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
Well, yesterday aunt headed out at 7am in her pajama bottoms and a coat to the hospital again. Mum couldn't stop her so had to ring the Police who found her at the hospital reception for the second time in a week.

They then transferred her to another hospital a few miles away and gave her the once over - blood test, mental health exam and gave her some food. Because they were so busy, transport wasn't arranged until 7pm and then they took her to the wrong address so she got back to mum's after 9.

This morning she is still obsessed with going to the hospital but mum has locked the front door and hidden the key. I can't see how she can be let out the way she is behaving at the moment.

I've told mum to keep her telecare call button with her at all times and not be confrontational in any way but she's finding it all very difficult to handle the situation. Aunt has even said she'd "kill her" if she's not allowed out, which I am sure is an empty threat but it obviously plays on my mum's mind.

I'm waiting for SS to respond to our request for a care assessment and I'm also waiting for someone from AS to contact me so I can see if they can provide some advice or support. Not sure what else can be done at the moment.