Need advice about paying for my Fathers care

englishjon

Mar 25, 2015
West Midlands
I came back from abroad to take care of my Father when he was diagnosed

with mixed dementia. My sister can't handle his aggressive behavor and has 3 kids and 4 grand kids to look after. I live with him in the house I was born in, have a job

and look after him but will not be able to when he gets worse. My sister and

I have joint POA property and financial. He owns the house and wants it to

go our future, and my sisters children.
He has worked his whole life, never claimed benefits until now(AA) so now

does he have to lose everything to pay for care ? Can i live in the house ?

Should I put it in my name or my sisters kids ?
I don't care about financial gain for myself. I want the best for him and will make sure he is looked after but it just

doesn't seem right that this country supports people with other medical

problems and people that have never paid taxes.
I know i will need legal advice but not sure how to deal with this. Any

advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Jon.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Jon, welcome to TP
Anything you do that could be seen as "deprivation of assets" can be undone if he did need to go into a home in the future, so moving the house into anyone else's name or money too may well be pointless.
You can carry on living in the house if you're over 60 or have a disability, you can ask the council to disregards it if you gave up a home of your own to be a carer (and from the sound of it you gave up you life abroad) but it is something you will have to argue out with the social services.
There's a link to the factsheet below which you may find useful
K
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1468

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Don't get me started on supported others ..

Is there info re moving parents into our home re care ?

We have my parents , dad with dementia and mum carer and potentially OHs parents (he is only child ) , they're in 80s now but doing well , mil still working :eek:
Sadly I find it unfair 10yr age differnce and they're ok ...makes me feel bad .

Hopefully you'll find an answer englishjon.

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester

with mixed dementia. My sister can't handle his aggressive behavor and has 3 kids and 4 grand kids to look after. I live with him in the house I was born in, have a job

and look after him but will not be able to when he gets worse. My sister and

I have joint POA property and financial. He owns the house and wants it to

go our future, and my sisters children.
He has worked his whole life, never claimed benefits until now(AA) so now

does he have to lose everything to pay for care ? Can i live in the house ?

Should I put it in my name or my sisters kids ?
I don't care about financial gain for myself. I want the best for him and will make sure he is looked after but it just

doesn't seem right that this country supports people with other medical

problems and people that have never paid taxes.
I know i will need legal advice but not sure how to deal with this. Any

advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Jon.

Jon, my dad has alzheimers and my mum asked an advice charity the same question. They stated that, once you have a diagnosis of dementia, you won't be able to transfer the house into anyone else's name. The state want you to pay for care if your parent ends up in a home. I am determined my dad won't go in a home so I am too planning on caring for him alongside my mum. Maybe I am naïve but I am going to do everything I can...

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
Jon, my dad has alzheimers and my mum asked an advice charity the same question. They stated that, once you have a diagnosis of dementia, you won't be able to transfer the house into anyone else's name. The state want you to pay for care if your parent ends up in a home. I am determined my dad won't go in a home so I am too planning on caring for him alongside my mum. Maybe I am naïve but I am going to do everything I can...

my father too has worked all his life, it's wrong x

katek

Jan 19, 2015

and look after him but will not be able to when he gets worse.

Jon

(I've just quoted this part of your post but I know you were concerned about having to pay for care)

Depending on how much worse he gets - especially his aggression - he may be eligible for NHS CHC (Continuing Health Care) which is free. It is difficult to qualify as you will no doubt see from other threads on here. In my family I have experience of someone quite ill being refused it, but my father with advanced AD did eventually get it, partly for his behaviour. You have the right to apply for this if it came to him being too difficult to cope with at home.

Last edited:

missmarple

Jan 14, 2013
John- for a good cross section of how other posters feel about people with dementia having to pay for all their car and loser all their assets, see the thread "continuing health care fees" especially the later posts.
I agree with katek re continuing health care. If your Dad qualifies it will pay for carers to look after him ,whether in his own home or in a residential facility. A lot of people are not initially aware of this fund and therefore do not apply for it. My Dad gets it, also chiefly because of his difficult (aggressive/ dangerous) behaviour.
Look up Continuing Health Care of the Alzheimers Society website. There are also other organisations such as Care to be Different which have v useful info on their website. If you think your Dad might qualify, do apply.