need a day and date clock

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by dottyd, Apr 15, 2011.

1. dottyd

dottyd Registered User

Jan 22, 2011
    n.e.
    Does anyone know of a clock that automatically shows day and date for under £30.

I have seen some lovely ones but the clearest ones are £65 plus.

This is to help mum remember to take her tablets.

2. ellejay

ellejay Registered User

Jan 28, 2011
    Essex
    Hi Dotty, We got Mum a clock from the supermarket where they slap their back pockets. You can see it on their website **** Direct. It's quite big, a black face, normal numbers day/ date. It's £8. Hope it helps Lin x

3. julieann15

julieann15 Registered User

Jun 13, 2008
    Leicestershire
    #3 julieann15, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    Hi
    We got one via CPN (poss SS- it is a while ago) from British Red Cross on loan

Julie x
    Meant to say it was free- returned to BRC when mum went into the home

4. AlsoConfused

AlsoConfused Registered User

Sep 17, 2010
    Mum has 2 of these clocks but I'm afraid she's never had any real benefit from them, nor does she look at them.

If the clocks do help your Mum, it may not be for long.

5. tre

tre Registered User

Sep 23, 2008
    Herts
    Talking clock

My husband could not get on with a normal clock, not even a digital one, but we got a talking clock from RNIB website. It is a white cube about four inches with a big black button on top but no dials or numbers. You can set it to announce the hour on the hour which he finds a useful prompt and it you press the button anytime it announces the time day and date. It is radio controlled so it is always right and I think it cost about £20. It runs on batteries so you can put it anywhere and it has been a big success for us.
    might be worth a try.
    Good luck

6. dottyd

dottyd Registered User

Jan 22, 2011
    n.e.
    wow -thanks for the help everyone. I saw the rnib clocks and wondered if they gave the day. Great that they do.

Maybe that's the route to go down.

She's doing quite well at the moment -long may it last.

7. Jimbo67

Jimbo67 Registered User

8. JackMac

JackMac Registered User

Jun 26, 2010
    west midlands
    We got ours from mums cpn on loan too. this way its free. They can be so expensive to buy.

9. thatwoman

thatwoman Registered User

Mar 25, 2009
    Merseyside
    I got Dad one of the expensive ones and it was useful for a while, then he just forgot about it! His CPN was very impressed with it, and took the details so she could provide them free for other people. I suppose that was a good thing, but it left me thinking that there were other things I could have done with my £50 too!
    I hope your Mum gets good use out of it,
    Love Sue xxx

10. diablo

diablo Registered User

Dec 4, 2008
    Fylde Coast, England
    After trying a clock which had the day just shown as 2 letters I found one from the same supermarket where you got yours - it had three letters for the day.

I found some cellulose film which was slightly dark and cut out holes for where the time and day were to make them stand out more.

Didn't stop her saying that 'nobody ever tells me what day it is' even though I'd often tell her and point it out on the clock. The schedule for the day-centre was right next to it and she would look at that.

Maybe one of those things which displays the day fully in large characters would have helped. Though I'll never know now as she is in a care home.

11. Gill40

Gill40 Registered User

Mar 14, 2011
    we got one from argos. x