Neck Problems

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
My Aunt has a real problem with holding her head up. It appeared to start after having felt unwell one day a few months ago. We are guessing she had suffered a TIA. Ever since it is as though her neck is very weak and she has to use a hand against her forehead to hold her head up.

Her GP was very dismissive at the time - her overall condition perhaps warranted more attention - advising her to do exercises! Since then we have bought a soft support collar which helped occasionally (most successfully when travelling in the car) but she has now virtually discarded it.

Using a hand to hold her head up makes it even more difficult for her to move around and to eat successfully.

Is anyone able to offer any practical advice please or share their experiences?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I have no direct experience of neck problems but my wife has a tilting hair and when it is tilted backwards, the person in it naturally has their head back.

Wouldn't help for someone who wanted to be up and about and was capable of that, and it wouldn't help with mealtimes unless your aunt was being assisted in her eating.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

As for GPs... sometimes they need a good talking to, to bring them down to the realities of dementia - at any stage!

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Thank you Bruce

she is definitely better in a high backed chair and is beginning to hold herself in a way to balance her head by leaning backwards. At first she would slide forwards out of the seat of whatever chair she was in but she has improved recently.

She very much wants to be up and about at the moment - can't sit still for long - but I will remember that in case things change.

Kriss

Geoff

Jun 5, 2004
Hi Kriss,
I can totally understand where your coming from with this, as my mum also went through a "stage" were she held her chin against her chest, it was as though she had a stiffness in her neck. She was in hospital with another condition and we were able to point it out to the doctors and after alot of persuading we managed to get them to do an x-ray the result of which was fine.( I mean ALOT of persuading (talk about banging your head against a brick wall!!))
That has passed now for the most part or at least isn't so bad , it doesn't effect her eating or moving around, and she can move it more freely. With reading your post it would seem that maybe this is a part of the condition, I'm aware that a stooping effect comes with the disease in it's mid to later stages.
Good luck, Geoff

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Thanks Geoff

it still appears to be improving - yesterday she was very good and it isn't stopping her from constantly walking the corridors and garden at the home! I am told she is eating much better as well which is very good news.