National Insurance Credits from Carers Allowance - what are they worth

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Until 2018 I cared for my father and got Carer's Allowance. I know that this gave me further contributions to my state pension. Recently I was made redundant and I have signed on for contributions based Job Seekers Allowance. I have been refused contributions based JSA having been told that Carer's Allowance does not entitle you to JSA but the advice on gov.uk website says 'these count towards your State Pension and may help you qualify for some other benefits for example contributions based Jobseeker's Allowance' . When I checked my state pension forecast I was show as having full years for 2017-18 and 2016 - 17.

Are they right? If not I really think people should know that they will be paying the price further down the line.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Check if the credits were Class1 or Class3
Only Class 1 count towards contribution based JSA

https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

Carer's Allowance should give Class 1
Scroll down

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility

Yes, that is what I thought. I only realised all of this because I double double checked my pension status. Shortly after that I was made redundant from my part time job. I actually only have the month of December to lodge a claim. HMRC are showing my record for 16-17 and 17-18 as full with no gaps. My carers allowance letter says I will get NI credits. I did miss a couple of days because I had two weeks off to look after my husband and then later on some holiday - all properly notified.

My letter telling me I would get Carers allowance says that I will get Class 1 NI credits.

I have been told I needed to work as well as get carer's allowance by one person and then in a second call told that the credits only entitled me to a pension. While I received carers allowance for someone with higher level needs I was under 60.

Do they really make basic mistakes like this.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
PS thank you for your reply. I can't face arguing with people unless there is a realistic chance of success.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I received carer's allowance for about 6 years before pension age and my pension statement said I had received an additional amount for being a carer. I actually received about £20 more than the standard rate but I am not sure if that was all due to carers' allowance or other credits I had from earlier in my life. I think it does enhance your pension somewhat.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
So I didn't want to just sit still and wait. I have now found this which might point to what the job centre staff are saying ...which is you have to have contributions from WORK and Carer's Allowance to be able to get JSA. To my mind the information that is received with carer's allowance is very misleading and if anyone cares for a couple of years or more then they are NEVER going to get JSA. This information came from Entitled To so it is a reliable source. I am gutted. I have been made redundant lost my state pension, lost my occupational pension because it is linked to the state pension and I cannot even get an interview for a receptionists job. I am completely dependent on my husband.

You qualify for contributory/new-style JSA if you have made the following level of National Insurance Contributions:
  • in one of the last two complete tax years, have paid Class 1 (or special Class 2) contributions to the value of 26 times the lower earnings limit; and
  • in both of the last two complete tax years, have paid or been credited with, Class 1 (or special class 2) contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.
Surely the spirit of carer's allowance was meant to make you no more worse off when you went back into job seeking or employment.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I've no reason to doubt the authenticity of your source of disturbing info.

However if you want to take it to the wire:-
There is a DWP
>>>Decision makers’ guide: staff guide<<<
'Why we publish this guide
We publish this guide to help people understand how we make decisions.'

no comment!
The relevant section is
probably >>>Decision makers’ guide: Vols 4, 5, 6 and 7: Jobseeker's Allowance and Income Support:staff guide<<<

If you decide to take this route set yourself up with plenty of your preferred tipple and be prepared for a longish reiterative session.

@mancmum

Last edited:

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
So the mandatory decision is now here. Weeks late but what does that matter. It is critical information for anyone thinking that in giving up work to be a carer they will be protected down the line. You have to have both carer's allowance and to be in paid work to subsequently be able to claim contributions based job seekers allowance. So carer's who are fortunate enough to be able to keep a little part time job going and continue to have some income will be massively better off than anyone who cannot do this because their person needs constant attendance. I don't believe its what anyone would have intended...and fortunately anyone who has no savings won't be affected but having lost my state pension, my occupational pension and I am devastated. I saved the NHS so much money. The only good news is that I now have what might be a manageable part time job. I have taken this up with my MP and will probably go to the Carer's Trust as well.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I hope you have some success. I am reading Carrie Grace’s book EQUAL just now and it is revealing just how hard some people have had to fight to get fair treatment.

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
So the mandatory decision is now here. Weeks late but what does that matter. It is critical information for anyone thinking that in giving up work to be a carer they will be protected down the line. You have to have both carer's allowance and to be in paid work to subsequently be able to claim contributions based job seekers allowance. So carer's who are fortunate enough to be able to keep a little part time job going and continue to have some income will be massively better off than anyone who cannot do this because their person needs constant attendance. I don't believe its what anyone would have intended...and fortunately anyone who has no savings won't be affected but having lost my state pension, my occupational pension and I am devastated. I saved the NHS so much money. The only good news is that I now have what might be a manageable part time job. I have taken this up with my MP and will probably go to the Carer's Trust as well.

This is interesting @mancmum as I have looked after dad full time for 2 and a half years now. I had a part time job until 2 years ago but I couldn't keep it up so it went. I have also checked my state pension forecast and my national insurance credits. I have a full pension coming and my national insurance credits that go back to the year dot are complete except one year 2014 is not full. I am 63 years old.

I was expecting that when dad dies or more likely goes into a care home and my carers allowance stops that I would be able to receive jobseekers allowance for a while at least but according to what you have been told I won't be entitled to claim. If this is true then it is a disgusting way to treat people.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Hello duggies girl. It is disgraceful. It actually means that someone who can keep a job up gets both carers allowance and pay and then job seekers...whereas someone who cares full time only gets carers allowance. I have saved the NHS probably 250,000 pounds. I would only have got max. 1700 from JSA because I have savings. Obviously if someone doesn't have any savings then they would get something but it stinks after I have been WASPI'd out of two pensions. The only good news is I have a job offer albeit at 50% of the salary I was on when I opted to become a carer.