Nataly Runinstein

gerrytt

Jul 9, 2015
Ms. Rubinstein is a clinical social worker and a certified care manager. She specializes in providing support and care for caregivers. She is particularly helpful in that she was the caregiver for her mother for many years. Her book, "Alzheimers Disease and other Dementias" was particularly helpful to me when my wife was first evaluated and I was trying to learn all I could about this illness. Highly recommended for those who want to learn how to think outside the box in your day to day problem solving issues. Since I believe most people who use this site live in the UK and I live in Canada, ignore the chapters in American health care. They are unrelated to anything in either the UK or Canada. Otherwise, as they say in my neck of the woods, have a "boo" at what she writes. Lots of great tips and advice. Enjoy her insightful comments from a person who dealt with this illness for many years!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Another book worth reading is one called 'Being Mortal - Illness, Medicine and What Matters in the End' by Atul Gawande, an American surgeon who looks at everything from preparing for end of life, nursing homes and why they succeed or fail, and at heroic medical interventions and when is it time to call a halt.

It is not an overly long book and has been written for ordinary people like us though I think there are many doctors out there who could do well to take a couple of hours to read it.

I found it to be very thought provoking and will read it again when I can praise it loose from my friends who seem to be finding it a worthwhile read also.