Nan2seven's poems to raise funds for AS research

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
I have published a collection of poems, available on Kindle but also accessible without a Kindle, in order to raise funds for the Alzheimer's Society. At the same time I opened a "Tribute Account" with the AS in Brian's name for those funds to be paid into, for research.

I had a lot of help from our youngest son in the formatting and setting up of the poems, but have only recently realised that Amazon will only account to me for monies received when sales have exceeded the £100 mark. As I deliberately set the price low, at £3, a lot of sales are needed to reach that figure - and there have been very few to date, mostly family, I think, and dear Izzy here at TP.

A lot of members here at TP received my poems very kindly, which was what gave my son the idea of getting them together in a collection. Some were written while caring for Brian, others deal with losing him and life without him.

There is a small sum sitting in the Amazon account at the moment, but at present it is inaccessible. May I appeal, please, for more sales, so I can get the proceeds to the Tribute Account and to the AS.

The title is "The Answer to Life" by Janet Behague.

Many thanks for reading this, and love to you all,
Nan XXX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well done, Nan. I'm off to buy it now.

Your poems were always so moving, and as we were at similar stages, really resonated with me.

Love,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I've just read your poems right through, Nan - floods of tears of course.

I read them when you posted them on TP, but re-reading them as a complete story is very, very moving.

My favourites? 'Love continues', 'Give me a smile, my sweetheart', (John also never forgot how to kiss:)), and 'Your love is with me'.

These are the ones that most closely relate to my own journey with John.

So many of the poems are desperately sad, but love shines through them all, even the most despairing.

I recommend this book to anyone who is caring, or has cared, for a partner - but have the tissues handy!

Much love and respect, Nan.

PS. I'll put a link on BletherBox, if that's OK.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I looked at Amazon but I am too dense to work out how to get this if you do not have a kindle. Can one of you bright sparks enlighten me?
Tre

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Well Saffie at least I have not missed the blindingly obvious. This makes me feel a bit better
Tre

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Nan has said it is accessible without a kindle but if it isn't, that would account for the low sales figures. I don't have a kindle either.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Nan has said it is accessible without a kindle but if it isn't, that would account for the low sales figures. I don't have a kindle either.

So she has!:eek: Just re-read Nan's post.

I couldn't see any way to access it without a kindle either. We need Nan to explain.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Downloading Kindle to your computer

I have just downloaded Kindle to my laptop. Will try and explain.... but tired! It dawned on me it had been 10.15pm a long time. Yes, the clock had stopped and it is 12.30am!

I went to Amazon and logged in, typed in 'Search' the title and author:

'The Answer to Life' by Janet Behugue

and the page came up.

On the right hand side in the green box which says 'Buy for £3.00 ' look at the bottom of the green box

It says 'Available on your PC'

Click on it then... follow instructions

It quickly downloaded Kindle to my laptop and now there is the Kindle icon on my Desktop.

Now I must go to bed....

Good luck!

Loo xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I thought I might put a link on my Facebook page but nit sure how best to do it.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It quickly downloaded Kindle to my laptop and now there is the Kindle icon on my Desktop.
You mean you can now read a book for a Kindle on your computer? Well I never!
So have you got Nan's book too? Sorry, I'm a bit confused. X

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I have a Kindle icon on my MacBook and on my iPhone. I can read my kindle books on either.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
So many replies! Thank you all so much.

Dear Sarah: I have to admit that my youngest son "talked me through" the entire process. Setting up the verses was quite straightforward, but the format, the longish questionnaire that had to be completed re figures and sales around the world (!!) and so on were less so.

Dear Hazel: Thank you so much for your recommendation. I haven't heard of BletherBox, but if you think that a link on there would result in more sales and therefore more funds to the AS, please "link away".:)

Dear tre and Saffie: I hope you have both managed to follow Loo's instructions. I don't have a Kindle either, but Tom talked me through that as well and I now have a Kindle icon on my Desktop too.

Dear Loo: Thank you so much for posting the instructions for downloading the Kindle app. I cannot remember how it was done but recall that it was quite straightforward.

Dear Izzy: You very kindly recommended the collection on an earlier thread, and I thank you again. As many links as possible and wherever is perfectly okay with me. In case you are concerned with preserving my anonymity, the surname given is from several generations back in my Family Tree and not my real one.

Again, many many thanks to you all.
Love, Nan XXX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Hazel: Thank you so much for your recommendation. I haven't heard of BletherBox, but if you think that a link on there would result in more sales and therefore more funds to the AS, please "link away".:)

Nan, BletherBox is a new dementia forum, set up for sufferers and carers in Scotland. Not a rival to TP in any way, but Scottish law and care system are different.

It's still in its infancy, and not many people are using it yet, but we're trying. :)

I'll bump up the link when more people join - already had one favourable comment.

xxxxx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Saffie - and others - I hope you manage to download the Kindle to your computer, I found it very easy and it was late, very tired!

I did not know a Kindle reader could be downloaded to a computer! :)

Hazel - thanks for reminding me that although I did join BletherBox, I have not been back again. Must have a look.

Loo xx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Nan

Last night after downloading the Kindle I read all your poems right through. Then again today and I know I shall return to read them again and again. I remember the ones you put on TP but as Hazel said, re-reading them as a complete story is very very moving. I shed tears last night, and today.

Particularly the one where you write that you were always an affectionate couple who kissed Good morning, Good night, Hello, Goodbye. It reminded me so much of us, and brought back the shock when Henry became "tentative and uncertain" and then "all that affection " slipped out of sight. That was about 4/5 years after I first picked up on what I felt sure was early dementia in 2002/3.

The shock and pain of that loss was immense.

Your verses are both beautiful, full of love, and heartbreaking.

What a lovely photo of Brian as a young man, he was extremely handsome, wasn't he.

I'm lost for words... so pleased you put the verses together like this, thank you so much Nan.

I wish I could think of ways of how to promote your book as I am sure there are many who would relate to them.

We have to got that target of £100......

With my love

Loo xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've posted something on my timeline on Facebook asking people to help. x