Nan

mif

Aug 4, 2013
Im new here so hi to everyone.

My Nan has had dementia for a couple of years now and her mental and physical abilities have declined very slowly.
Two months ago my nans sister died after a short illness. They were close and spent the majority of their time together. They lived a few doors apart and my nan was in and out of her sisters house all day so as well as coping with the loss of her sister her life has changed quite dramatically as visiting her sister was how she spent her days. My mum also lives close by and has been my nans main carer. She has cooked, cleaned and done her laundry etcfor about a year. Since the loss, nans mental health has rapidly decined. She has become paranoid, making accusations that my mum and my sister and I have stolen items, become verbally and physically aggressive. Things came to a head two weeks ago and sadly she was sectioned and is now in hospital.
My nans mood is very changable, some days she is pleased to see me for a short while others she is nasty and tells me not to come back as it was me that put her in hospital. She does not understand she has dementia and fully believes she is able to selfcare. I understand how horrible this must be for my nan as she has always been so active and independent and to now be taken away from home to somewhere thats you do not want to be nor understand why must be awful.
So in others experience, do things ever improve? We are waiting for decisions to be made on my nans future but I guess she will go to a care home. I know she will hate it and I fear continue to blame me and my mum and sister for what has happened.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello Mif and welcome to talking point, I am sorry to hear about your nan, there doesn't seem to be many people around tonight but i am sure there will be some around in the morning who can give you advice and answer your queries,

Best wishes jeany x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Whilst I've no personal experience of this I've read many posts on here about how dementia sufferers lives have improved, with the right care, in the right place. With care, company and stimulation sufferers can have a much more 'managed' life - fed, clean and warm with caring staff on hand to look after them.

Care homes, like anything else in life, vary hugely but it sounds as if nan needs more care now.

Guilt and blame seem to constantly accompany dementia carers but with the right care nan could potentially be much happier

Keep posting here and let us know how you get on xxx