Nan has dementia - Having Family Issues

rach79

May 20, 2015
Cheshire, England
Hi Everybody,

Can someone please give me some advise?

My Nan 88yrs has always been healthy and independent, over the last 6 months her memory has rapidly declined and she becomes very confused.

My problem is my Family - My Nans immediate carer/relative is my Aunt. up till recently she has kept me in the loop of appointments and visits. Unfortunately she is a very head strong woman and it is my way or the highway attitude and due to some discussions, she has now blocked me out of any information/visits.
The only information I can get is what I get told off my Nan which doesn't help as she's confused and doesn't understand what is happening.
Its very distressing when my Nan calls me crying and sobbing and I an unable to calm her or explain things

I have tried several times to keep the piece with my aunt for my nans sake but it is impossible.

My other concern is that my Aunt is not in the best health and recently spent 3 weeks in hospital with out me knowing that my nan wasn't been looked in on, This lead to a distressing call I received off my Nan saying she had no money and my aunt has her bank book also medication was not being taken.
I am worried that my Aunt will put things in place that if she is ill or again in hospital nobody else will be able to help.
I am also worried because my Nan has said on several occasions that she wants to do thing because if she doesn't my Aunt wont care for her and will stop seeing her. I am worried that my Aunts attitude is making my nan decide things under duress.

Can anyone give me any advise on what I can do???

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi rach, so sorry you are involved in what seems to be a battle in helping your nan:eek: are you able to talk to your parents about these worries?..if not ,maybe our helpline will be of use to you:-
You can contact our helpline by calling 0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

The helpline is usually open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and from 10am - 4pm at weekends. However, the service may be closed occasionally during these times for operational reasons.

Above all,please know this is a safe and helpful place for you to get other carers experiences,where we can offer understanding and support, so please do keep posting.
Take care
Chris x

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
Give so/worker a call

Hi Everybody,

Can someone please give me some advise?

My Nan 88yrs has always been healthy and independent, over the last 6 months her memory has rapidly declined and she becomes very confused.

My problem is my Family - My Nans immediate carer/relative is my Aunt. up till recently she has kept me in the loop of appointments and visits. Unfortunately she is a very head strong woman and it is my way or the highway attitude and due to some discussions, she has now blocked me out of any information/visits.
The only information I can get is what I get told off my Nan which doesn't help as she's confused and doesn't understand what is happening.
Its very distressing when my Nan calls me crying and sobbing and I an unable to calm her or explain things

I have tried several times to keep the piece with my aunt for my nans sake but it is impossible.

My other concern is that my Aunt is not in the best health and recently spent 3 weeks in hospital with out me knowing that my nan wasn't been looked in on, This lead to a distressing call I received off my Nan saying she had no money and my aunt has her bank book also medication was not being taken.
I am worried that my Aunt will put things in place that if she is ill or again in hospital nobody else will be able to help.
I am also worried because my Nan has said on several occasions that she wants to do thing because if she doesn't my Aunt wont care for her and will stop seeing her. I am worried that my Aunts attitude is making my nan decide things under duress.

Can anyone give me any advise on what I can GIVE S/WORKER A CALL THERE MY BE ABLE TO HELP . IF YOU NAN IS IN NEED OF HELP THE S/WORKER WILL HAVE TO HELP