Mystery stains on the bathroom floor

Miss A

Oct 26, 2012
The South West
Hi all,

Last night I visited my Dad (he's in middle stages of VD and lives in his own house) and I noticed some spots on the bathroom carpet, in front of the toilet. They were about the size or a penny and 2 pence piece and were a dark red/brown colour. They were wet when I saw them and when I arrived at Dads he was walking down the stairs. After looking in the wash basket I found Dads jeans, quite heavily soiled.

I am now putting the pieces together and have reason to believe that this has happened at least once, possibly twice before - he had had diarrhoea and not made it to the toilet in time. I've never seen it before though if that makes sense.

I cleaned it up and told dad what I was doing, he said he didn't know what the stains were. My dad is a difficult creature sometimes , he drinks a lot and can be very touchy when bringing up these sensitive matters .

I really don't know what to do now? I am waiting for SS to call me and arrange a home visit. I last heard from them nearly 5 weeks ago. They sent a letter and said they will be in contact in 28 days. Or is this a matter for the doctor? What should I do can anyone help. I have no support from any of the family and I'm trying to do this amongst working full time. Please help!

Thank you xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi, this is such a difficult situation to be in. Would it help to contact the doctor with the information you have just presented to us and ask that the doctor call you father in for an MOT? The reddish brown colour could be due to alcohol, blood in his faeces or blood in his urine, but it really needs to be checked out.

I'm sorry I can't suggest anything else, I hope someone else can.

Hugs

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
So sorry to hear about your concern for your father Miss A - and how lucky he is, to have such a caring daughter.

I think you've done exactly the right thing contacting Social Services because it sounds like your father could do with help and for that to happen, there will need to be an assessment as to his needs. Since you haven't heard, I would chase it up and stress that you feel your father is at risk. Please don't say that you're available to help - otherwise you will simply shunt your father to the back of the queue. I would also call/write/visit your father's GP if you can, depending on your own circumstances. It isn't easy - but one main job that many of us (carers) have to do is co-ordinate, marshall, cajole, persuade, coerce when needed the care input for those who need it.

Also contact the local branch of Alzheimer's to see if they can help you. Don't be fobbed off and don't wait more than is reasonable. Services are stretched but your father needs help and if he's drinking, you probably need help to help him.

Good luck. Sounds like you've made a great start. Lots of advice on here, possibly from others in your area, so keep posting.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Miss A. Firstly I would say if I saw blood from anywhere I would get it checked out by a GP. It doesn't necessarily mean something sinister but I wouldn't ignore it. I know it isn't easy, especially if your dad doesn't want to comply.

I think if the blood was quite red in colour this sounds like fresh blood which could have been caused by straining or possibly if your dad is suffering from piles these could have bled. If someone is a heavy drinker they can vomit a brownish-red substance (called coffee ground vomit).

It is likely that a doctor would want to investigate blood loss. He may just run some blood tests to begin with to check for anaemia (this would be an indicator if your dad was losing blood from somewhere).

It's difficult to know when and how to intervene.

Keep us informed

Good luck xxx