My wife will not accept that she has dementia

GlynPhillips

Feb 2, 2004
Gwent
My wife will not accept that she has any problem and the medical staff will not confirm that to her, although they will to me. Will it help if she is so informed by medical team?.
When she gets facts wrong will it help for her future if I always correct her ?

Peter

Oct 3, 2003
Telford
I can only tell you of my experience. My wife was told she had dementia but always thought she would get "better". At first I tried correcting her errors but it made things worse. She would get angry and it defeated the purpose. In the end I leant to live with her version of things. Correction was not appropriate anyway because her short tem memory was lost so she did not recall errors and there correction. The only advantage was that when we did have disagreements I only had to wait a while and they were forgotten!

Peter

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Peter you are so right and confirm many of the comments given in previous postings.
After many years I still have a problem with my wife every evening telling me "we are going home tomorrow".
If I agree she will tell me I am confusing her and making it worse,if I say "we are home"I get the same reaction.
I can never win this one but as we have said before it will blow over eventually, if I keep calm,it will ,but this one lasts longer than the usual 5 minutes.
I can only think this is in some way connected to past holidays,any body got any ideas?
Norm

sue h

Jan 2, 2004
Maidstone, Kent
My Dad constantly thinks he's on holiday. He's always talking about packing, even wanted to pack my Mums iron once! As you say it's most likely to be linked to holidays in the past and this is certainly the case with my Dad. When he retired 14 years ago they went on coach tours 3 or 4 times a year, so thats probably why he's always saying about getting ready for the coach pick up. Mum has given up trying to talk him round, and mostly ignores his comments. It's often hard to understand why he doesn't recognise his local surroundings and it only adds to his confusion when you try to tell him that it's his home.
You are certainly not alone on this one!
Regards
Sue