My wife who is 60 years old I find pneumococcal & syringe wraper in bin in her room

Big feet pete.

Nov 6, 2017
Suffolk
I've visited my wife every day for two years now since she has been in care home not missing one day and being with her 4 hours most times I've been surprised a number of times of the goings on and mistakes but keep it to myself as I don't want to rock the boat so to speak but last night I found when putting sweet wrappers in her wast bin A packet that had contained pneumococcal polysaccharide and the wrappers from the needle and syringe I had a brief chat the before with the manageress she never mentioned anything about this and I was not informed one time when I was there an agency nurse was going to give my wife inceling injection for diebitise which was for the person in the next room my wife does not have have sugar diebitise if I had not been there my wife would have been the women's media so ime now thinking has the errer been made again as you should be 65 years old to be injected with pneumococcal ime going to see the manageress tomorow but I no they will fob me off making out I don't have a clue about anything like as it's happened before why was I not told if it was not a mistake if I had not found them wrappers in the bin I would never have known I try to watch out for my wife of 30 years and always try and read her body language when she is agitated so I can help her but it's like banging my head against a brick wall now she in that care home

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
ime now thinking has the errer been made again as you should be 65 years old to be injected with pneumococcal

The NHS recommended age for administering the pneumonia vaccination to elderly people is 65 and over but it is also recommended for anyone aged 2 to 64 with a health condition that increases their risk of pneumococcal infection:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/when-is-pneumococcal-vaccine-needed/

There are 4 groups of people who are advised to get vaccinated against pneumococcal infections:

• babies
  • people aged 65 and over
  • anyone from the ages of 2 to 64 with a health condition that increases their risk of pneumococcal infection
  • anyone at occupational risk, such as welders

Hopefully when you speak to the manageress she will be able to put your mind at rest. In my Mum's home I have to sign to give my consent to her receiving routine vaccinations like the flu jab so perhaps you could ask that in future you are informed of any vaccinations given to your wife?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Big feet pete.

You should have been advised by the care home about an anti pneumonia vaccination for your wife, but if the care home had anything to hide, knowing you visited regularly, I doubt they would have put the used wrappings in her bin.

Perhaps a potential mistake by an agency nurse has made you more aware.

People in care homes are vaccinated to protect each other as well as themselves. They are all vulnerable people and need as much protection as possible.

By all means have a word with the manager and ask if in future you will be consulted.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I've visited my wife every day for two years now since she has been in care home not missing one day and being with her 4 hours most times I've been surprised a number of times of the goings on and mistakes but keep it to myself as I don't want to rock the boat so to speak but last night I found when putting sweet wrappers in her wast bin A packet that had contained pneumococcal polysaccharide and the wrappers from the needle and syringe I had a brief chat the before with the manageress she never mentioned anything about this and I was not informed one time when I was there an agency nurse was going to give my wife inceling injection for diebitise which was for the person in the next room my wife does not have have sugar diebitise if I had not been there my wife would have been the women's media so ime now thinking has the errer been made again as you should be 65 years old to be injected with pneumococcal ime going to see the manageress tomorow but I no they will fob me off making out I don't have a clue about anything like as it's happened before why was I not told if it was not a mistake if I had not found them wrappers in the bin I would never have known I try to watch out for my wife of 30 years and always try and read her body language when she is agitated so I can help her but it's like banging my head against a brick wall now she in that care home

@Big feet pete. you really have my sympathy I am battling with Dads care home. I know nothing is perfect & have overlooked little things until..... I could no longer.

my only advice is by speaking softly people have to listen harder to what you are saying. The medical records at your wife’s GP practice should have the information if your wife has had this injection as either yourself, your wife, gp or manager of the care home had to authorise this medication.

as for the diabetic incidence - um you need to raise that concern & you can check how medication should be given via the CQC website.
Hope that helps
X

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hello @Big feet pete.

You should have been advised by the care home about an anti pneumonia vaccination for your wife, but if the care home had anything to hide, knowing you visited regularly, I doubt they would have put the used wrappings in her bin.

Perhaps a potential mistake by an agency nurse has made you more aware.

People in care homes are vaccinated to protect each other as well as themselves. They are all vulnerable people and need as much protection as possible.

By all means have a word with the manager and ask if in future you will be consulted.

I have to say @Grannie G im not so sure. It’s easy to overlook the little things until it all snowballs & you think why didn’t I make a bigger issue earlier. you want to trust that the care home are competent .... my Dads got an outstanding from the CQC in Spring & yet once that was achieved it’s all changed. Mistakes do get made but homes are meant to be open & honest about these & learn from them & build on the resident family relationship.

I hope that @Big feet pete. can have the open conversation required with the manager to resolve this

Big feet pete.

Nov 6, 2017
Suffolk
@Big feet pete. you really have my sympathy I am battling with Dads care home. I know nothing is perfect & have overlooked little things until..... I could no longer.

my only advice is by speaking softly people have to listen harder to what you are saying. The medical records at your wife’s GP practice should have the information if your wife has had this injection as either yourself, your wife, gp or manager of the care home had to authorise this medication.

as for the diabetic incidence - um you need to raise that concern & you can check how medication should be given via the CQC website.
Hope that helps
X
I when tto the manageress next day she when's strait in to 2nd manager to look at medical files my wife is exempted from flu jab as there had been some one from pharmacy there giving flu jab to some other residents they said nobody in the home has broncites or meningietes so that medication would not be used at all in the home so they are going to look into it that's all I got from them even though it was in my wife's little paper bin in the toilet area of her room and it was obviousness some one had that medication I.e. My wife

Big feet pete.

Nov 6, 2017
Suffolk
I when tto the manageress next day she when's strait in to 2nd manager to look at medical files my wife is exempted from flu jab as there had been some one from pharmacy there giving flu jab to some other residents they said nobody in the home has broncites or meningietes so that medication would not be used at all in the home so they are going to look into it that's all I got from them even though it was in my wife's little paper bin in the toilet area of her room and it was obviousness some one had that medication I.e. My wife

Big feet pete.

Nov 6, 2017
Suffolk
I did speak with them there's nothing in my wife's medical sheet about it and that medication should have even been at the care home as nobody there has broncites or memonier but they say they will look into it ?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I did speak with them there's nothing in my wife's medical sheet about it and that medication should have even been at the care home as nobody there has broncites or memonier but they say they will look into it ?

That’s a real worry for you. If you aren’t satisfied with the homes answer ask the surgery to see their records. As all medication will be recorded by the prescribing person & the person who administrated it. Ie nurse

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti