My wife is displaying many symptoms of dementia but she hasn’t been officially diagnosed.

Zekkii7

Apr 30, 2020
Exeter Devon
Hello there everyone,
My name is Troy & I’m carer to my wife.
Although my wife hasn’t been officially diagnosed with dementia, I know she is displaying many of the symptoms.
Over the past couple of years things have become more pronounced/worse, but the past two or three weeks have been the worst, so far.
I’m unsure quite what to do right now, the current situation with Covid19 has obviously caused everything to change dramatically.
The symptoms my wife is displaying are very intense & worrying.
I would appreciate some advice from people here please?
Many thanks, Sincerely, Troy.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
HI Troy and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you have for your wife. I know it might be difficult in these circumstances to get a discussion with the GP but it might be worth a try.

You might also give the Admiral Nurse service a call. You’ll find their number here -

I’m glad you’ve found the forum as you’ll get lots of help and support here.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
@Zekkii7 hello Troy and welcome to DTP
under normal circumstances the advice would be to visit her GP to rule out any other illness that could be causing her to display symptoms similar to those of dementia. Maybe you could arrange a telephone consultation with her GP and explain your worries with a view to a visit as soon as circumstances change.
now you have found the forum I hope you will continue to post.

Windy28

Jan 8, 2020
Hello Troy

Ditto.

Ring the GP, get an appointment arranged.

Please hang in there, perhaps write up a few notes about what is happening, dates and situations that cause you concern, that way when you go and see the GP you will be able to refer to them.

i did that when I took my OH to see the GP regarding my worries and those notes came in handy when we were referred to the memory clinic later. Start a diary now, you will be so glad you did.

Seaholly

Oct 12, 2020
Hi Troy,

This is something really close to my heart, as my dad couldn't actually bring himself to go and see the GP 'behind his wife's back'
I have no doubt that if he could come back for the day, he'd be typing this and not me!

You are sticking to your marriage vows and doing right by your wife by making that appointment. I wouldn't wish what my Dad went through during his last months on anyone. He ended up so confused, hurt and broken and mum wasn't helped by that at all.

A list of concerns and examples of behaviour are so useful. Also, remember it might not be dementia! It took me over 20 years to finally get a diagnosis myself of an uncommon auto-immune disease that comes with added brain fog and had I not realised what it was, I honestly think I might have suspected early onset dementia!

Last edited:

Sofum

Nov 3, 2022
Dear Troy,

I know this can be very tough time. Just please, do not give up, alright? I can understand your feelings as similar happened to my father. I saw each day how his "light" was becoming darker and darker. However, the best we can do is to still take care of our beloved people.

/sending hugs and support/

I hope you two are doing well.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Sofum and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. Just to let you know that this is an old thread and Troy has not logged on here since May 2020 so you may not receive a reply. If you look at the top left of a message box you will see that date it was posted. Hope this helps.

Sofum

Nov 3, 2022
Hello @Sofum and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. Just to let you know that this is an old thread and Troy has not logged on here since May 2020 so you may not receive a reply. If you look at the top left of a message box you will see that date it was posted. Hope this helps.

Hello :3

Yes, I know and I see the date. But who knows, maybe this user will come back to the forum and he will see my message. Internet is very chaotic thing. Especially in a sphere of forums :3