My wife has MCI

UncleZen

Dec 24, 2019
My first post...
She's 63 and has Comorbid Mild Cognitive Impairment, a quick search tells me that "comorbid" means a medical condition that occurs with another, that, in this case, being anxiety and depression.
So I'm not strictly in the right forum, but this seemed to be the appropriate place.

I dont know what to say really, she seems to be getting worse, and Im worried about what direction this'll take in the future, in a year or 2 etc Just looking for some support from people in a similar position or who have been through this.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @UncleZen, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

My wife had exactly the same diagnosis at age 62 so I understand how you feel. You may be suffering what is called anticipatory grief(for a way of life that may be lost} Only some 50% of people with MCI develop full dementia so there is some hope to hold onto.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @UncleZen
a warm welcome to DTP
you have found exactly the right place to come to find support and information, and to share your experiences
write whatever you want to, whenever you want to, you are among folk who understand
best wishes to you both

UncleZen

Dec 24, 2019
Hi all, thanks for your prompt replies.
I do actually have PoA both Health & Financial, that was the first thing I did.
I dont think any other care is needed at the moment.
She doesnt work, well, she volunteers in the local charity shop and has income from an injury at work pension and benefits. Im 4 years younger and work in IT. I will be having a discussion with the appropriate people at work about this with a view to working from home if needed.
I'll take a look through the links, thanks
Oh, forgot to mention, her father died aged 80 something of Alzhiemers.