My wife can wander at night whilst I am asleep

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Oresteia, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Oresteia

Oresteia Registered User

Jan 21, 2015
    Southampton
    My wife has on several recent occasions attempted to leave the house during the night. Once successfully, because a door lock failed and she injured herself in the garden. Whilst I endeavour to secure the house, I am fallible like everyone else, and there is a risk she will find the keys anyway.

I could install a intruder sensor in the downstairs hall, but need it to wake me and not the neighbours. Price is an issue of course. And I need to be able to move around myself without waking my wife! (What is alright for the gander is not for the goose?? I feel hypocritical, but she is unlikely to be seeking indigestion relief....!)

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Hi Oresteia, welcome to TP
    See the link below, it's a remote key fob operated alarm meant for a shed or caravan, you could just put it in a suitable place like the top/bottom of the stairs and it will only go off inside the house, if it's too loud a piece of tape over the siren should quieten it down a bit. You could use the battery operated window alarms on the doors as a back up (second link).
    I've got the alarms on both my boat and shed but I bought them in one of the high street bargain shops for about £7 and they work well.
    K

http://www.amazon.co.uk/control-battery-operated-intruder-workshop/dp/B009F9NQ2G

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-351-mda-door-and-window-intruder-alarm-n06jx

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    What about a pressure pad on the floor on her side of the bed? That way you'll catch her before she leaves the room.

4. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    your local council should have a telecare department - they can be really really helpful with equipment - as cat says there are mat sensors for the floor, there are door sensors, window sensors all of which you can turn on and off, there are PIR lights - so many helpful things but try your local council first - or your social services will be able to direct you

5. Oresteia

Oresteia Registered User

Jan 21, 2015
    Southampton
    Thanks. I'll give one of them a try.

6. Oresteia

Oresteia Registered User

Jan 21, 2015
    Southampton
    I'm happy with her going to the bathroom - I want some sleep! - it is just when she goes downstairs right now. And I had been pointed in the direction of £150 + when I asked my contacts. Nothing was coming for free right now.

7. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Would a decent stairgate at the top of the stairs help? I know that these do work for some people

8. notsogooddtr

notsogooddtr Registered User

Jul 2, 2011
    Not recommended,she might try to climb over it op

9. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Anything you fancy >>>HERE<<<

Stair gates should not be low enough for the person to try and climb over them.

10. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
  11. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    you could put it on the bedroom door of course but that would only work if you have an ensuite

12. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Try remaking link

We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

13. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    We have a door alarm through tele care and they installed it for free. It's connected to a radio similar to police radios and an alarm sounds . You can set it before you go to bed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point