My wife assessed at memory clinic and was prescribed citaprolam(anti- depressant drug

redbook

Nov 27, 2013
Glasgow Scotland
My wife was assessed at the memory clinic and was told that the memory test showed that her memory was below what would be expected for her age.

The doctor asked her some questions that mainly centered on how she was feelng - was she depressed at all - and eventually said that she would prescribe 20mg citalopram and that she should take them for a 6 month period and then be assessed again.

I asked about drugs for my wife's memory loss, in particular donepezil and was told that it was not considered appropriate, the side affects could be troublesome and she would require ecg and blood pressure checks if she took donepezil.

I said that I believed that the earlier donepezil treatment was started the more beneficial it could be, but the doctor was adamant that the she would presribe nothing other than an anti-depressant.

I have looked at the possible side effects of citalopram and they are horrendous - much worse than those of donepezil. There is also the problem of dependncy on citalopram and having to be weaned of it at some time.

Has anyone else had any experience of being prescribed citalopram.

Any info gratefully received.

redbook

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Redbook
My Mum who had mixed Dementia and was suffering from depression, was put on Citalopram (sp)
Though she tolerated it well, it was of no help with her depression, Mum tried many before we found one that worked for her.

does your wife cry and possibly not know why she is crying.

We always read the info leaflet of any new med Mum was prescribed , when it came to the side effects and contra indications it was like reading a horror story ,

redbook

Nov 27, 2013
Glasgow Scotland
Thanks for the reply Lin.

Yes my wife does cry from time to time but always knows why she is crying. The crying occurs mainly when she thinks of our daughter who died six years ago. I cry myself when I think about it - in fact just writing about it now is making me cry.

It's happens a bit less now than it did but I feel that the crying is a separate issue from the memory loss

redbook

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello redbook

Has your wife been diagnosed with dementia or memory loss?

If she hasn`t had a diagnosis of dementia, donepezil would certainly be the wrong medication for her as it is specifically for some types of dementia.

I`m no medic but common sense tells me the shock and grief over your daughter`s death could be responsible for her below average memory. Stress can have a devastating effect on mental health.

If you are not happy with citalopram I`d ask the GP to consider other medication for your wife`s depression and possible some grief counselling.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I have been on citalopram in the past. I had no problems with the drug and found that for me, it gave me my life back. Depression is an awful thing. I found Prozac made me "high" like manic if you know what I mean yet citalopram didn't.
As far as other drugs are concerned, a suggestion, maybe ask your GP for a referal to your local memory clinic... And see what they say.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I have been on citalopram in the past. I had no problems with the drug and found that for me, it gave me my life back. Depression is an awful thing. I found Prozac made me "high" like manic if you know what I mean yet citalopram didn't.
As far as other drugs are concerned, a suggestion, maybe ask your GP for a referal to your local memory clinic... And see what they say.

I think she has been to memory clinic if you see the title,

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Yes, my wife was prescribed Citalopram to help with her depression (she was occasionally shedding tears and pacing up and down). I stopped giving it to her after 4wks of hoping that the nausea, sickness and vomitting it induced would disappear after the initial 'settling in' period. I subsequently told our GP who agreed it should be stopped.
I share your view that use of the appropriate medication at the earliest opportunity is best, having had a thorough investigation to establish the cause. I hope you soon find the correct cause and solution to help your wife and also ease your mind.

Greenlightsal

Sep 10, 2013
My husband has been having MRIs and cognitive tests for 5 years as his was a very slow progression and yet it was only a few months ago that he was diagnosed with a "probable" early onset Alzheimers and prescribed Donazepil - I think the symptoms have to be enough so that the doctors can actually detect a real difference with the medication. He has just this week been given Citalopram for depression and we are waiting to see how that goes. I have been on Mertazapine for depression for a couple of months and it has really helped - and in particular it has helped me sleep, which has helped me to cope with all the other things better.

lexie1968

Nov 1, 2013
Hello, i was reading your post with interest, as my father recently attended a memory clinic. We were told although he has short term memory loss, it wasnt dememtia, it was mild cognitive impairment, therefore no medication was offered, or help. I mainly wanted to tell you that i myself am on citlopram for depression, and have no side effects. Ive been on it a couple of years and feel it does help me. Things are quite stressful at the moment with my dad, and i think it keeps me on an even keel. I hope this helps.