My weekend

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
How can a person (my mum) go so long without any sleep!? Okay so I know a UTI affects a PWD but.....
Discovered mum had infection Friday, she'd been a bit out of sorts got sample to GP and collected antibiotics, albeit only 3 days worth.
Mum got up at 0400 on Saturday morning, she then slept for a couple hours lunchtime. Bouts of aggression started surfacing in the evening but didn't last long. She went to bed 11ish that night, then got up at 0230 and there my nightmare began. She was on my left shoulder most of Sunday, and the loops began it was constant. Tried to get her to bed last night all to no avail. Tried distraction, compassion, humour, warm drink, assertiveness - nothing worked. She spat out her antibiotic and subjected me to a bit of abuse. In the midst of all this my sister started- protective of mum telling me to leave her alone, she's alright doesn't need me etc etc. At this point I snapped at sister, said Christmas cancelled and then got anger from mum, as in her eyes I am her carer not daughter and should not be shouting at her youngest one. I left the room!!
Mum (and me) was up until 0500 this morning when she slept for a couple of hours, as did I. But where does the energy come from? I am absolutely shattered, and getting up this morning to be nice to both was a real struggle for me as felt an emotional wreck.

Mum sleeping now, I cooking dinner will leave hers 'til later as previous experience tells me she will sleep, go to bed, sleep and probably sleep most of tomorrow.

No, scrap that my sister has just woken her to ask if she alright AAAAAARRRRHHHH!

I pray for an early night, and thank you for letting me get it out of my system, I can be super duper nice now

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
You are not just super duper nice you are an absolute bloomin star!!!! I cannot imagine how you are surviving on such little sleep, I would be bouncing off the walls!!!

In some ways your sis might have done you a favour - if she had slept she may have been up again at 2am - but hey as we all know ...who knows with this awful disease!!

Keep shouting, we are listening and understanding but my goodness I hope you get some sleep tonight xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Fizzie's right jojo - you are so strong. You reason it all through, get it out of your system on here and......carry on, regardless of how you feel. I can feel nothing but respect for you with your double whammy! When your Mum does sleep, would it be possible for you to get your head down? Day or night. I don't know if caring for your sister too would make this impossible. Could she watch a long film or a box set, while you slept? If all goes well, she will sleep tonight and her pattern of days and nights will right themselves. I do hope it works out like that.

Here's hoping

Heidi xx

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Thanks fizzie there was a bit of bouncing off the walls! Had copious amounts of tea and listened to some music through headphones (one ear only).
I do silly things when that tired, put kettle in fridge, water from tap goes into bottle of milk, have to laugh but gosh it tough at times.

Thank you Heidi, if mum sleeps during day tomorrow I will try and have a doze on sofa so in same room as her. Sis is able to occupy herself but is not very good at keeping quiet. I shall have to find a task for her. But the practical side of me will want to make use of time mum asleep - do ironing or even try the mince pies again, went wrong last time. Shall see what tomorrow brings, never know I may just sit and do nothing

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Oh jojo, I definitely know where your coming from . It's not easy caring for our mums when they don't sleep . You try to be caring , but it's so difficult when we are so tired. I had a very disturbed night with my mum last night , I'm hoping she sleeps better tonight . I occasionally give my mum one paracetamol when she's agitated , which some research has said works . It may work with your mum especially if she has infection as she may have a temp and paracetamol would reduce that . I only give my mum one 500mg tablet as she has a degree of renal failure . If you are any doubt , check with your GP. I hope you and your mum have a better night tonight . Best wishes .

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
When you are sitting dozing - wax earplugs are very useful addition to the toolkit. Only pure wax ones - they are bloomin miraculous :D

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
I hope you have had a better night. I used to fill every minute with jobs too, but since taking advice on here, have become better able to postpone things and have a rest. I make a list and tick things off as they get done, so nothing is neglected in the long run, including me!! In such an important position, you need to be kind to yourself!

Heidi xx

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Oh jojo, I definitely know where your coming from . It's not easy caring for our mums when they don't sleep . You try to be caring , but it's so difficult when we are so tired. I had a very disturbed night with my mum last night , I'm hoping she sleeps better tonight . I occasionally give my mum one paracetamol when she's agitated , which some research has said works . It may work with your mum especially if she has infection as she may have a temp and paracetamol would reduce that . I only give my mum one 500mg tablet as she has a degree of renal failure . If you are any doubt , check with your GP. I hope you and your mum have a better night tonight . Best wishes .

Hi, thanks for your reply mum can take paracetamol so I may try that. She slept well last night thankfully.
Hope your mum is okay and you are good too.

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
I hope you have had a better night. I used to fill every minute with jobs too, but since taking advice on here, have become better able to postpone things and have a rest. I make a list and tick things off as they get done, so nothing is neglected in the long run, including me!! In such an important position, you need to be kind to yourself!

Heidi xx

Morning, yep a much better night mum slept most of the evening and all through the night too. I slept okay, just got up couple times to check on her.
I know what you mean about doing too much, I shall do a wee bit of ironing this morning the rest can wait! I do want to attempt the mince pies this afternoon if I can though. I have my Pilates class tomorrow, love it always makes me feel so good after.
Hope you are okay and your dad is well, xx

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
So glad to hear you got a good night One good thing to come out of the respite is that Dad has been sleeping well and not shouting for me. It's just as well, coz I am up at 5.45am every morning to have my cuppa and a quick squiz at TP before the day gets going. It's my weekend off with Chico this weekend, so I will catch up a bit !

So glad to hear you say that you are going to pace yourself. I do a bit, then sit down for a bit then do a bit more then it's lunch time. The days go so quickly!! I can't believe it's Christmas already! Have you had chance to do the mince pies? I bet they will come out scrummy!!

Dad has had a good day today. Back to normal getting up and walking etc. Thank goodness!!

Have a lovely time at Pilates tomorrow. Something to look forward to. When I get back to town, I'd like to start up something like that or an exercise class. Will see what happens on the work front first.

Hope you have another good night. Keep pacing yourself

Heidi xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968