My sisters husband

Kbr

Apr 3, 2020
My sisters husband has Alzheimers he has been getting more and more confused lately. He doesn't think we they live is his home he said they are only there temporarily. I think it because he is used to going out during the day to the market and he likes to speak to people but since the cornavius they can't go out they are 75 and he has other health issues. I worry for my sister she is handling it ok so far but can I help in any way. I don't live near them. But how can we reassure him that it is his home

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Kbr

Lots of people with dementia are getting more confused now because of the way we have to behave with the corvid-19 pandemic. But many people with dementia also think that their home is not their home - they’re looking for a place where they feel safe -often it’s their childhood home. The best thing to do when this happens is to play along with whatever they believe at the time and say something like “it’s nice here, let’s stay here tonight and go home in the morning”. Hopefully by morning this will be forgotten. There is a thread on here that many people have found useful. Perhaps you could share it with your sister.

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/ .