My sisterinlaw has Alzheimers need help

sitter20

Apr 2, 2015
Hi all I am new here so please bear with me.
My sister-in-law has Alzheimer's and has had for about 3 years now.
( I will try to make it short ) After my husband died ( her brother ) we talked regular on the phone and I went an saw her ( she lives in the north east and I live west Yorkshire ) anyway up till 3 years ago calls stopped and I was ill so didn't call her. then I found out she had this illness I got on the phone asap got no answer so whet over to see her. When I got there I could have cried she was dirty and smelled the house wasn't clean. I found out who was looking after her and got in touch with them and asked what was going on with my sister inlaw. I was told that a friend of hers had interfiled the relevant people and that they was going in to see to her. And was told that as far as they know she didn't have any relative's so told them how I was and that she had a nephew and 2 nieces to also a cousin. any way I have been going over regularly the last time I saw her was November as bad weather and my own health couldn't get over ( but did talk on phone ) Then 2 weeks ago her cousin phoned and told me she had been in hospital and that she had been put into a nursing home and no one had let me or him know anything about any of this. I was told by her social worker that the hospital had asked her if she had any relative's and had said no ( but people new about me and Phil ) Then we found out that a solicitor that had been appointed for her before has power of attorney has got someone in to clear her house and putting it on the market :confused: I would just like to know can they do all this with out talking to use first? There was family things there that some of the family would have liked. By the way I for one am glad she is in a nursing home as she will be with someone 24/7 and safe not on her own. Is there anything at all we can do to stop the things ( as in what was in the home ) being sold of there to be sold in may? Thank you all and sorry its along one hope someone can help xx

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi and welcome to TP.

Your SIL will need her home to be sold to pay for her care. Everything in the house is still her property as she is still alive and the solicitor who has LPA is duty bound to sell the possessions she does not need, to add to her assets. He cannot allow anyone to take things. He has to work in her best interests at all times. It is very sad that they thought she had no relatives but everyone seems to be doing the best for her and she is as you say, safe and looked after.

Hopefully you will get to see her soon to satisfy yourself that she is fine, it is a worry when someone lives alone and has dementia to contend with.

Take care,

Jay

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Surely the things that other family members may want could be those with no or negligible financial value? (Photo albums or similar). If this is the case, it might be possible for the solicitor to allow relatives to have some items as mementos without compromising his LPA responsibilities.

By way of comparison, in order to clear my mother's 3-bedroom bungalow completely the net gain to her estate was £150. Unless there are a lot of valuable antiques, jewellery or items of furniture it could even be a net cost rather than gain to her assets.

I'd suggest you get in touch with the solicitor and see if there is anything you can negotiate. Might need to be quick though if arrangements are already in progress to sell the house.

sitter20

Apr 2, 2015
Surely the things that other family members may want could be those with no or negligible financial value? (Photo albums or similar). If this is the case, it might be possible for the solicitor to allow relatives to have some items as mementos without compromising his LPA responsibilities.

By way of comparison, in order to clear my mother's 3-bedroom bungalow completely the net gain to her estate was £150. Unless there are a lot of valuable antiques, jewellery or items of furniture it could even be a net cost rather than gain to her assets.

I'd suggest you get in touch with the solicitor and see if there is anything you can negotiate. Might need to be quick though if arrangements are already in progress to sell the house.
Hi thanks for your reply. Things that are wanted isnt worth anything to anyone els just the family. I have phoned the solicitor but shes away till next week so will ring her then. Thank you. And iam going to see her next week they cant stop me seening her xx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan