My sister recently diagnosed

TinkyWinky

Mar 30, 2020
My sister recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's, although it's the same person, it isn't. She thinks she has mild alzheimers and I am trying to treat her as normal, but everything we say it always goes to past memories and 'didn't we, do you remember'. The lights on but getting dimmer. Talking/explaining things, you think she's listening, then that look appears and you know she's not really. So stressful ?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @TinkyWinky, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Yes, things tend to start in little ways and then progress. Although I know that my wife isn't taking things in I still give explanations. I've got used to biting my lip with frustration. People here understand how it is. Your sister is still there - just buried under her symptoms.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forums from me too, @TinkyWinky. Sadly that look and the loss of conversation is not uncommon with dementia and a lot of us will sympathise with your situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA