My sister is a thief!

David Marcus'Brown

Feb 14, 2022
Devon
I have a problem and am becoming increasingly depressed and don't know what to do.
Recently my sister stole a personal possession from an elderly relative and then when confronted denied it. This started a whole series of irate letters from the 87 year old relative, my sister said she was going to a solicitor, I talked her out of it. Then my sister confessed she had stolen it to my cousin( who has told me recently in confidence ).She said she took it cos it looked "special" and didn't want anyone else getting it. It belonged to my relatives deceased mother and held sentimental value. It was a spoon with amber on it. My sister has a thing about amber. My sister doesn't know I know that my cousin told me. She has had ample opportunity to own up. My mother was very friendly to this relative & now doesn't speak to her. The whole family have turned against this old woman, apart from my own family & my blissfully unaware father. I am being made to feel bad for keeping in contact with her. My mother is adamant that my sister would never do such a thing. ( I hinted to her that perhaps my sister had taken it). And still my sister maintains the elderly relative turned on her for no reason and is slandering this relative to friends and family. At one point in time she had me turned against her as well. I have no idea what to do about any of this. I am scared to confront my sister about the latter matter as she would turn on my cousin. My brother in law is also a bully. He becomes verbally nasty & comes into your personal space if he is ever challenged about things. I have spent the last two days crying. I am currently helping the elderly relative clear her house out as she has gone into a Care home. She is of sound mind just a little physically frail. She doesn't know about my sister's confession to my cousin. My elderly relative's brother recently wrote to my mother saying how disgusted he is with his sister's behaviour and calling her unhinged etc. They were very close, now apparently he is furious with her. Yet she is innocent. It is so wrong. I cant go to the Police and report my sister as I cant prove anthing & I know my sister will deny it all. I know what she is like. She is a very jealous person and very vindictive. If i confront her it will be breaking my cousin's confidence. I am devestated she has behaved in this way and hurt all these people.
Any advice welcome. Thanks for reading!
She and everybody have to realise that nothing should be leaving the mothers home. It's still her stuff. Best to put all important bits and bobs in a safe or lockable box. For that day when she has died and all will be fairly distributed, or sold off and distributed. Not for the sister to take matters into her own hands. Who is the next of kin? Has power of attorney been established? Good luck. Who needs this kind of stress when it's already a stressful situation. Thankfully i am not bothered about any of my mothers belonging. Only her quality of dignified care at home. But i know there is a family member who is looking at her "things" wanting to filter them off. But i have been tough and said "nothing leaves mums home and we must not accept anything mum wants to give away". Just concentrate on her care. Give her the best one can. Above all love, company, patience, time. Etc