My Request for Continuing Care Assessment

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Pendlemist, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Pendlemist

Pendlemist Registered User

Dec 7, 2014
    Hi
    Last year, in early August, my Mother had been moved from a care home to a pupose built small dementia care unit (which was and remains a wonderful caring environment).
    I wrote to the local CHC offices and asked for a full assessment for Mum, seeing as her mental and physical health had deteriorated. I heard nothing. I rang the office in July and was told "yes, we have your letter" - that was it. The weeks passed by and there was not a peep. In October I had a letter saying that a case worker would be in touch within 2 - 4 weeks. The weeks turned into months and still not a word. Sadly Mum passed away early this year.

I thought no, I am not leaving this, Mum deserved better than that. So I have involved my MP and there is now a full investigation into the fact that my request for assessment was not carried out in a timely manner. I have spoken to the investigating officer and said that Mum's health matters are not an issue any more, sadly she is no longer with us, but I don't want this to happen to anyone else and Mum''s care fees should be met, for her 6 months in care. Is this too much to ask? I don't think so?

I will let you know the outcome, all has gone quiet at the moment with the Easter holidays. I just want people, who may be in a situation where you have requested and assessment, to push and push to make sure your request it acted on quickly.

It has really upset me and I feel that I have to fight for my Mum. I cannot fault her care though, all the staff were fantastic and dedicated to caring for those with dementia.

2. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Hi. No it is not too much to ask .
    Your request should have been dealt with in a timely manner.

I trust they will deal with the investigation not only in a timely manner but to your satisfaction.

Please let us know how you get on.

3. Pendlemist

Pendlemist Registered User

Dec 7, 2014
    Hi Lin1

Thanks for your reply, I certainly won't give up on this matter and if needs be I would go to the press and the Alzheimer's Society, to warn people about unacceptable delays in care requests, 5 months plus, is not timely, it is negligent. Will post updates for sure. x