My poor mum Anybody else with a similar problem

wimwam100

Dec 30, 2011
Hi
My mum has had dementia for 3 years now.
mum is in so much pain, they did xrays at the hospital, found she has wedge fractures in her spine , they have put her on slow release morphine patches. They worked at first well first 2 did , then a few were bad batch . They have now put her on a different type , to no avail , in even more pain. Mum also has a prolapse , they keep putting pesaries in , but they keep falling down , she is getting infections from them , last one was 2 weeks ago , by the time we got home it had fallen out . Tried in vain to get her another appointment ., Got one this coming wednesday , . Today she is in severe pain , wandering round , asking why she is in so much pain. Nobody seems to want to help, My sister in going out of her mind , trying to get mum pain free, Help needed please

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hi Wimwam

Sorry to hear that your mum is having so many problems - have you been given any explanation as to why they keep putting pesaries in when they simply fall out again? Do they plan to operate/repair prolapse?

In the meantime she should have better pain control! Do not wait until the appointment on Wednesday for this, phone the non emergency line, dial 111, insist on doctor doing home visit, make sure they understand that you are talking about severe pain

wimwam100

Dec 30, 2011
Hi Wimwam

Sorry to hear that your mum is having so many problems - have you been given any explanation as to why they keep putting pesaries in when they simply fall out again? Do they plan to operate/repair prolapse?

In the meantime she should have better pain control! Do not wait until the appointment on Wednesday for this, phone the non emergency line, dial 111, insist on doctor doing home visit, make sure they understand that you are talking about severe pain

Hi Thank you.

Don't get me started on home visits, at first doc came out several times about her back, he kept saying , oh it's the way she sitting , she not getting enough exercise. Four times we get him out to her. Sorry this is for her back. Then on four visit another doc said, go for xray that is when they found the fractures, in November. At that time she got infection , they took pesarie out , had to have scan to make sure the bleeding wasn't coming from anywhere else . All came back good pesarie in . 2 days later it was out , Morphine patches come , put one on , pain for 2 days then sickness next day. Day 4 new morphine patch same as before , then another patch , then they started falling off, Doc changed the patches to new ones , been using for 5 days now , no pain relieve , bleeding , non emergency so will not come out . Plus they do not want to up the dose because it will interfear with her brain . The poor old girl doesn't know what to do with herself ,Sorry for bothering nobody really to talk too

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If the pain is that intolerable, phone an ambulance, that seems to be the only thing getting an immediate reaction.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi wimwam and welcome to TP :)

Your poor mum. This treatment really doesn't sound good enough to me! :mad:

Can you perhaps try a different GP (from the same surgery)? Or ask for a referral to a Pain Clinic? These do exist although I'm not certain of the criteria for referral.

I would just encourage you to keep battling until someone listens. It's often as much a matter of finding the right person, as the right service.

All the best to you, your mum and your sister :)

Lindy xx

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
I, too, would phone an ambulance, that way she may get admitted and sorted out once and for all, x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
A&E and insist they sort everything out in hospital. NO ONE should be allowed to undergo that sort of pain. Stamp feet, cry, whatever works for you, but don't take no for an answer. This behaviour makes my blood boil!
In the end, they want to keep her in pain so she lives a little longer?

wimwam100

Dec 30, 2011
Hi

Many thanks for the advice. Docs sent some oramorph out , to go with the patches, fingers crossed. Hopefully may get some relieve . Only trouble now is , when they come to do the next asessment to see how it is progressing , they will not get a true pic. We are still trying to understand the stages , stil reading up on it . The stories, they are heart wrenching

Lovely to speak to people

Thank you