1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

My poor mother is gone

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Witzend, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Roses40

Roses40 Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    manchester
    Please accept my deepest sympathy. So nice about the letter. Love Rose x

2. submarine

submarine Registered User

Apr 5, 2013
    London
    Good to know that the end was peaceful for your mother and that her family was with her.
    may she rest in peace.
    what a journey,

Submarine

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

3. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    So sorry, Witzend, and sent you my deepest sympathy.

4. Stresshead

Stresshead Registered User

Sep 13, 2014
    I just wanted to send my condolences Witzend.

You're in my thoughts xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    My condolences to you and your family. But how wonderful that you have that loving letter from your mother.

6. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Sorry to hear your sad news xx.

7. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    What a dignified end to a long life. She was not alone and now neither are you...so many memories. Ditch the bad ones and smile at the happy and be content, you did your best for her.
    Condolences...Maureen.x

8. Raggedrobin

Raggedrobin Registered User

Jan 20, 2014
    Oh Witzend, in the light of our recent conversation about the end of life, I am so sorry but share what must also be your relief, too. You seem to have had an exceptinally long journey with your mother, I am glad for her and glad for all of you that she can now rest in peace at last.

How lovely about finding the note from her to you all, as if to remind you all of the person she was before this dreadful illness took over. There are often sad but wonderful moments around grieving.

I really feel for you Witzend and also appreciate many of the posts you have written. Xx

9. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    please accept my condolences, and just look forward to happier times.

10. dottyd

dottyd Registered User

Jan 22, 2011
    n.e.
    How strange some of us were just talking about this the other day.

I'm so glad your mums suffering is over and it happened while you were at home and not in France.

I hope and pray we don't have 15 years . Although,mum showed the first signs 11 years ago.

Nice too for you to have received a letter. We have no such comforts sadly. Something we all need to take note about.

Every time the home rings I stifle a panic as its not often. Today they rang to say mum had picked someone's tablet up and swallowed it.

One day it will be the real thing. Like living ona knife edge.

11. daisydi

daisydi Registered User

Feb 25, 2015
    Norfolk
    So sorry for your loss but happy that your mum is now free from this awful illness. My mum is only 84 so I fear we have a long way to go yet ...

12. mackie

mackie Registered User

Feb 9, 2015
    Sorry to hear your sad news, thinking of you and your family x

13. Witzend

Witzend Registered User

Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    Thank you all for so many kind words.

xx to all.

14. fredsnail

fredsnail Registered User

Dec 21, 2008
    So sorry for your loss, although I'm sure you're relieved that she wasn't alone and it didn't happen when you're all away at the wedding.

How wonderful to receive a note from her pre dementia - I hope that it is the first of many happy pre dementia memories that will come back in time.

Thinking of you and your family.

15. Jesskle66

Jesskle66 Registered User

Jul 5, 2014
    I'm so sorry, Witzend. Your posts have been a source of comfort for me.

16. chrisdee

chrisdee Registered User

Nov 23, 2014
    Yorkshire
    Please accept my condolences - your thoughtful insights have been a great help to many. I do hope your marathon of coping with the dread disease is now at an end.
    Christine.

17. Spiro

Spiro Registered User

Mar 11, 2012
    May your mother rest in peace.

18. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    Please accept my condolences, Witzend. I understand what you mean by sorry but not.

Reading about the letter from your mum made me fill up, how lovely for you all to have such treasured words from your mum. Your real mum xx

19. Ann Mac

Ann Mac Registered User

Oct 17, 2013
    I understand the 'sorry but not sorry' too - thinking of you and yours, Witzend xxxx

20. Gigglemore

Gigglemore Registered User

Oct 18, 2013
    British Isles
    Condolences on your loss, Quilty has expressed my feelings perfectly;
    "I am so sorry for your terrible loss, but glad that you all were able to be with her at the end. Your mother must have been an incredible woman to think about her letters. I hope they help you remember her real self but that the remembering is not too bitter-sweet.

You have walked a long hard road and have helped so many with your story. Thank you and I wish you peace in the days ahead"