My poor Mam.

Callieflower

Jan 9, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Today has been so awful. Mam called my sister a b**** this morning when she was helping her put her false teeth in. My Mam was the kindest, most loving woman you could ever wish to meet, to see her like this is devastating. I feel desolate. I gave her some apple pie and ice-cream, Dad said he caught her eating it after she had scooped it all into her denture container. How on earth do we learn to cope with this. I try so hard to accept what's happening but today I feel hopeless, helpless, empty, sad.

geordie

May 11, 2010
can only speak from personal experience - you cope because you have to - but to be honest the huge sadness doesn't ease - it's just a constant reminder of the destruction of the illness - it's horrible - but you cope - possibly by trying to make sure you remind yourself that it's a manifestation of the illness - your Mum is still the same Mum

jayne-b

Sep 7, 2009
Staffs
Callie I am sending you hugs because there is nothing I can say to help. Some days we just can't handle things.

It sounds like today was a particularly bad day of confusion for your Mam.

The learning to cope is rough and something that is never ending.

I hope when you see her next you get a sweet smile and a glimpse of your lovely Mam.

love n hugs
jxx

Callieflower

Jan 9, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Thank you both so much. I spoke to her on the phone and told her how much I love her. I feel so bad for my sister as she seems to be the one who Mam is most resentful of. I am beginning to accept that this sadness will never leave and I have to believe that I can cope because my Mam and Dad need me more than they ever have before.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The confusion in the later stages is very upsetting Callieflower.

Thank goodness your mother and my husband and all similarly confused don`t have any insight into the cause .

horserider100

Jan 30, 2013
manchester
please be strong

hi so sorry but its not your mum saying these things but this cruel desease. sometimes i despair when i get a call from my mum saying she has waited outside for me in the cold for over 1 hour. i had not told her i was picking her up. it can be soul destroying, but we must go on, no alternative. try and stay strong, and think of all the good times before, when all was normal. thats what i do and i find it helps. next time you see her she could be fine, i hope so. yours always john.

Callieflower

Jan 9, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Thank you John. I do feel better thanks. All cried out now and ready for another day. I took your advice and thought about the 40 happy years I had with her. It does help and many thanks to you for pointing it out.:D

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm so sorry Callie. It doesn't matter how many times we tell ourselves it's the illness, it still hurts. I also think that it can sometimes be worse watching someone else at the receiving end of this nastiness. I cope much better if my mam is nasty to me, than I do when she is nasty to my dad.

Hugs to you all x

AnneD

Dec 3, 2012
Derbyshire
Callie - I hope today will be a better day for you. There is nothing I can say except that I am thinking of you and your sister and sending hugs.

We have all had "bad" days - and they are very difficult to deal with.

When i visited my Mum on Thursday - she was almost happy (the first time in a month). i came away elated! Let's see what today brings.

AnneD

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Dear Callieflower,
Sorry, my computer is ageing and playing up.... this got posted on the wrong post...... hence I have deleted it.

Hope your Mum is in better fettle today. It is so hard to stay grounded with these slip ups. Big hugs, BE

Last edited:

Callieflower

Jan 9, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Thankfully we've had a much better day today. I'm genuinely so grateful for the support. So looking forward to a nice quiet evening without any drama (fingers crossed) xxxx