My parents

Roystoys

Feb 1, 2021
Both my parents have serious memory problems. They have had blood test to confirm they are deteriorating, however they can not have any help until they have been to the memory clinic. This I have been told will take a year. Unfortunately, they deteriorating rapidly and now forget to eat and drink even when food is placed in front of them it rarely gets eaten. My dad only seems to want to break the central heating which he has now done 3 times and my mum constantly talks about blue frogs or jelly. It’s soul destroying to watch. My sister lives closest and she is now worn out, she had an operation that went wrong. My point is I don’t know where to turn for help. The doctor says their is nothing he can do until they have been to the clinic. My question is what help can I actually get now. I think they will starve to death before help is forthcoming.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Roystoys, I think your parent's GP has got things a bit muddled. There are some services that do want you to have an official diagnosis before they will help, but far from all. This fact sheet may give you some idea of what is out there Getting help and support as a carer | Alzheimer's Society. At the very least it sounds as though you should be asking your local social services for an assessment as your parents are vulnerable adults towards whom they have a duty of care.
I think you might find contacting the support line useful, specially as your needs sound urgent. They are open till 8.00pm tonight then again from 9.00am tomorrow.
Do you or your sister have Power of Attorney for them? If you do, and they have enough funds, basically over £23,500 each, you could start organising getting carers in for them.
I'm sure others will be along soon with their experiences and suggestions. This is a very helpful forum, and you've get lots of advice and support here.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Roystoys

Good advice from @Sarasa

My dad kept breaking his central heating so I replaced his thermostat with a tamper proof one and “lost” the garage door key so he couldn’t get to the boiler. Could you do something similar?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Roystoys
a warm welcome to DTP

what a worry for you and your sister

you don't need a diagnosis to contact your parents' Local Authority Adult Services to arrange a care needs assessment for each of them .... details will be on the LA website
let them know all the concerns you have for your parents, be brutally honest, and tell them neither you nor your sister can provide hands on care ... say they are 'vulneranble adults' who are 'at risk of harm through self neglect'
after the assessment a care package should be suggested eg home care visits

if your parents have income and savings (over £23250) enough to pay for care themselves, then you can organise home care visits yourself

I agree, cover over any heating controls and switches, maybe look into have a remote control that you can use ... I found with dad that what he couldn't see he left alone

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH does not have a diagnosis, but I contacted Social Services and he has had a needs assessment. He now has cares coming in the morning to help him wash/dress. Social Services can organise other things too, so please get on to them to get a needs assessment for your parents.