My Oli

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
Yesterday morning we woke as usual, I made him his morning coffee. All normal. Went through to the kitchen to do his cereals for breakfast. Wasn’t gone 5 minutes but when I walked back into he was having a seizure. The ambulance was here within 10 minutes and they were great. In A&E they did various tests and said the ecg was showing an abnormality. I had to leave him in A&E last night as the stroke ward was full and they still want to do the MRI. He bit his tongue really badly while he was having the seizure so it’s now huge and purple and very sore.
My poor Oli is so gentle and uncomplaining just very confused. I don’t know if he will be admitted today or if they will allow me to bring him home. Today the stroke ward is moving from the first floor to the second floor. 1 lift large enough for 1 bed so that will be pretty chaotic too. I hope I’ll get hI’m home but really want that MRI done first. The last time he was in he lay in his hospital bed for 6 days before they got round to doing the MRI and it showed he had a massive clot. I really don’t want that to happen again.
Another day in the life of a dementia sufferer and the carer.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh I’m so sorry to read your news. What a worry for you.

Thinking of you both and wishing you strength.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sorry to hear that @Bugs. I hope they get the MRI done today and you know if he needs to be admitted or he can come home. Look after you in all this if you can.

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
Good news. He was transferred to a stroke ward last night and had his MRI this morning. I’m told he went walk about last night looking for me but they kept him safe. He now wears a bright yellow band saying Fall Risk! I will go back at 2pm and see if I can find out the results of all the tests.
crossing fingers that I’ll be able to get him home in a few days. And because he is now safe in a ward I didn’t have to cancel my hair appointment ?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
That's great news @Bugs hope the test results are fine. Enjoy some time to yourself at your hair appointment.

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
They did the MRI and say although there is a lot of historal damage, there seems to have been no stroke this time and put it all down to the seizure. He’s still in hospital but will hopefully be discharged tomorrow.
I don’t know very much about seizures. I understand he will be put on medication to hopefully prevent another one. Can anyone tell me how to deal with a seizure and if I should call an ambulance if he has another one.
I kept my voice very calm and gradually tried to wake him, asking him to open his eyes. After about 5 minutes his eyes started to flutter. He was dopey for a good few hours afterwards.
poor thing, he bit his tongue really badly and it’s still purple.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
They did the MRI and say although there is a lot of historal damage, there seems to have been no stroke this time and put it all down to the seizure. He’s still in hospital but will hopefully be discharged tomorrow.
I don’t know very much about seizures. I understand he will be put on medication to hopefully prevent another one. Can anyone tell me how to deal with a seizure and if I should call an ambulance if he has another one.
I kept my voice very calm and gradually tried to wake him, asking him to open his eyes. After about 5 minutes his eyes started to flutter. He was dopey for a good few hours afterwards.
poor thing, he bit his tongue really badly and it’s still purple.
with seizures, ask nurse on ward for advice but just keep him safe. if there is a table, furniture he could hit himself with, try and move it. dont put anything in his mouth. be careful you are not within his reach so he could hit out at you. reassure him and let him come round in his own time.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has seizures. As @jennifer1967 says, move things that he could injure himself on out of the way and dont try and put anything into his mouth. OH bites his tongue too, but they wont swallow it. Dont move him while he is convulsing, but once he stops, roll him over onto his side until he comes round - it can take up to 20 mins for OH to come round so I usually get a pillow to put under his head and cover him with a blanket to keep him warm if its chilly. I dont usually call an ambulance unless he has injured himself (eg caught himself on the way down or during seizures and cut himself badly enough to require stitches) - otherwise I just get him to bed to sleep it off.

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
Thank you kind people. This forum is where you can ask the questions and get the answers you need. This time he was fortunately in bed when he had the seizure but I will move a few things around to hopefully keep him safe.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thank you kind people. This forum is where you can ask the questions and get the answers you need. This time he was fortunately in bed when he had the seizure but I will move a few things around to hopefully keep him safe.
Thank you for posting this @Bugs as I have never heard of seizures with dementia and if my LO had one I would have freaked, but reading all the advice and comments I am better prepared even though highly unlikely it will happen of course x

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
I have him home. ?. When I went to the ward he was sitting at the reception desk with a cup of coffee and a biscuit, ’reading’ the newspaper and assisting the lovely receptionist with her work?. He had earlier set off the fire alarm by opening a fire door. He said he’s had a lovely few days. We got home and he was tired so thought we should go to bed. At 4.30pm. Then asked if we had sorted out the stamp duty to go on the bus tomorrow. Hopefully a good nights sleep will get things back on track but I’m so happy that he had such a good time.

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
Oh the ups and downs of this dreadful disease. My Oli is back on course although mentally a little more confused and a bit more wobbly. Today I went to a local shop where the husband of the shop keeper was also a dementia sufferer. I haven’t been there for about 3 weeks and today she told me her husband died a fortnight ago. I knew he was very ill but it was such a shock to hear he’d died. She’s a lovely person and is struggling to get her head around it all. It’s really hit me that one of these days I will be in her position as will we all. It’s just so horrible and I want to wish you all the strength you need to keep going.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It takes something like that to hit you @Bugs.

I have to say I never thought of death while my husband was alive. If I`d had an experience such as yours it would have hit home.