My Oli

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Bugs

It is difficult to get used to living with a person with hearing loss but you will get used to it in time I`m sure.

Just make sure you are in a face to face position whenever you want to communicate with your Oli. There will be no need to shout if he can`t hear. Shouting changes the facial expression and makes the shouting person look cross.

I know this sounds a tall order and one more symptom to adjust to. It is better to allow Oli to lip read and develop a skill than to write everything down. Writing is fine if there`s no alternative.

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
We have progress. Good progress. Oli was given a course of steroid tablets and after a few days his hearing returned. I still don’t know what caused the deafness but I’m really pleased with the outcome. Tuesday is carer day and a lovely man comes and spends times with him while I go for a swim. Today they went for a walk to the local coffee shop. Oli took the cash, placed the order (with a bit of help I suspect) paid for everything and even told the waitress that his coffee was not hot so she replaced it. All this from a man who has hardly said a word for the last 3 months! The carer said he has not laughed so much in ages. Now I know this sudden ’improvement’ may well be showcasing and all will revert after he wakes up from his nap but to hear him chat away is just wonderful. It feels like I’ve got my old Oli back.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That is so good @Bugs. As you say if he reverts you will at least have this episode to remember with fondness.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
@Bugs I’m so happy for you and hope it lasts. Shame you couldn’t discover the cause, but the issue is fixed, that’s the main thing! ?

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
We have a hearing test this week and an appointment with the consultant next week so hopefully I will be able to find out exactly what happens then.

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
We are off to see the consultant today for a follow up appointment. Oli has been on steroids for a fortnight and his hearing is greatly improved thank goodness. What amazes me is that not only has his hearing improved, but also his speech, thinking and alertness. He says his head no longer feels fuzzy and he can think again. He now instigates conversations, passes comments on things on the tv and in many ways, although the dementia is still there, he is back to the Oli I had 6 months ago. Has anyone else had such a positive reaction from steroids.?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That's great @Bugs. I know that being deaf seems to give you a higher chance of being diagnosed with dementia, but I wonder if sometimes we assume dementia when it's actually problems due to the hearing. Mum ended up in hospital on Tuesday and the doctor first asked me her age and then asked mine. I was being very woolly about things as I couldn't hear him due to a combination of the noise in A&E, and him wearing a mask and having a quiet voice. I could see he thought I probably had cognitive problems too. I might not think as sharply as I did but most of my confusion in stressful situations is down to being severely deaf.
Hope it all goes well today, and there are suggestions about how to keep Oli's hearing as good as it can be.

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
The consultant was very happy. We will have another hearing test in 7 weeks to see how things have settled. Meanwhile all is good ?

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
Another step along the way I think. My Oli is now sleeping almost all morning and when he does eventually wake up he doesn’t want to shower or dress. At first I told myself he must have had a sleepless night and was really tired but now I have to accept he’s tired all the time and would rather stay in bed. Not the best thing when I’m trying very hard to get his sugar levels back under control after they went really high while he was taking steroids. He will wake up for lunch, doze in his chair until 4 pm then be awake until 8 or 8.30 when he’s ready for bed. How can anyone sleep that much? But he does.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife