My old desk top pc has just passed away!

llamedos

Apr 16, 2009
My old desk top pc has just passed away - everything that could go wrong has done so over a few weeks - its been a faithful friend for the past 15 years, so I realise its time to say goodbye - however, what do I replace it with?

I must admit to being more than a bit brassed off with the changes in windows that come around at regular intervals.

Each time windows make a change, some part of my pc starts behaving oddly, or refuses to accept my software. Does apple systems do the same?

Recently, I have been talking with friends who use the Applemac pc's, and they seem to be quite happy with the apple system.

I would appreciate it if members could post their views - good or bad, on both windows and apple systems - this would help me greatly as I am no expert on pc's.

Also, are the two systems compatable for data - for example if I save some work on my windows lap-top - can I transfer it using a memory stick for example to an apple pc?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I've pondered your questions since I first laid hands on a Mac 20 years ago, and I have always made the decision to stay with Windows-based systems.

Primary things to consider:

1. money. Mac laptops are generally just over twice as much in cost to buy

2. type of portable system. Apple does not make netbooks, if you want a small system. I have just bought a netbook for use on holidays and I would have bought an Apple, but the cost of a good Windows system was £300, and the nearest MacBook was £800 and that was a 13" system, not a netbook.

3. type of desktop system. I have always paid around £1500 for each desktop system, the past four I have bought. Each time there has been much more power for that sum than the previous one had, but it provides the level of system I need. [my first PC in 1988 or so cost nearly £3000 and the specification was pathetic by today's standards]. Now, the iMac comes in at about that £1500 cost so it is a hot contender for a desktop system

4. what software you use. If you have 'legacy' [stuff you have used for years and need] software that you use on Windows, it may not work on a Mac. Apple users may say that their systems come supplied with most software that a normal user may want. It is certainly not true in my case. Macs these days can run Windows software, BUT only as something separate from the normal Apple stuff, so it kind of defeats what might make the system good for a Windows person. There is a greater and cheaper choice of software for Windows though Mac users might say it is not needed.

5. compatibility of data. Depends what you mean, but generally, file interchange between the two systems can be done. You just need to review what sort of stuff you want to be able to use on the Mac that you used on a PC.

For me, the things that count in my decision from the list above:

1. I don't want to spend twice as much for a badge and I'm not into 'cool'. I also know my way around a PC and one of the benefits of a Mac is that, for a novice user, they require little knowledge to set up.

2. I do wish they had a netbook, as I would have bought one if it were only half as much again in cost. The first netbook I ordered last week would not connect to my wireless broadband [hardware problem] so I sent it back. That would probably not have happened with a Mac. My new one, from a different manufacturer, will hopefully work when it arrives this week.

3.all-in-one- sytems like the iMac are brilliant in the showroom, because there is no 'desktop box' - it is all in the display. There are similar Windows systems from HP and Dell and others. However - if any one component goes bad, then you lose the whole shebang. On a system with discrete components, bits can easily be replaced. Jury is out on these systems, for me, but the iMac looks truly sexy.

4. I have such a mass of software that if I moved to a Mac then I'd have to retain a PC of some sort too, for the functionality. There is a version of Microsoft Office for Apple systems. Things like PhotoShop and Illustrator are available for [indeed originally came from] Apple. The cheap alternatives that I also use for those products are NOT available though, so Apple is more pricey once again.

5. data compatibility - I don't think I'd worry too much about that as most common formats will transfer.

What it comes down to for me is that, if I were a first time user, a light use user, a heavy user with limited need for broad functionality, a user with a wad of money to spend, and was not an IT professional, then I'd probably simply buy a Mac. If I wanted 'street cred', then I'd go for a Mac.

It is all very personal! When buying Windows systems I only ever buy from major manufacturers.

Jenniferpa ia a mac person and will fill in from the other angle, I'm sure..... :D

Last edited:

llamedos

Apr 16, 2009
Thanks Bruce

Hi Bruce - Wow! You certainly wrote enough to give me the info I wanted - many thanks - it must have taken some typing!

I have ordered an Apple Mac, but not taken delivery until later today, so I can easily cancel my order and get a refund to my card.

Reason: I really liked the appearance of Apple products, and have heard good reports - also the salesperson told me that the Apple would accept my programmes OK.

THEN I checked one programme out - my main programme I use - Family Tree Maker 2010. I contacted the manufacturer, and they said that Family Tree Maker is NOT comatable with Apple PC's - only Windows!

Being a carer 24/7 means I don't get out much, and spend a lot of time caring for my wife, and our home. I love tracing my family history, and spend a lot of time on my lap-top doing just that, with my wife sat beside me. I also try to help others looking for a 'lost' ancestor - I really enjoy this pastime, and I'm there if needed - usually every few minutes or so!

The fact that I cannot use my Family Tree Maker prog on the Apple has sealed its fate - I will be visiting the store to cancel, rather than collect. Maybe I might look at another lap-top - a good make - sony? My present lap-top is an HP pavillion, and the wireless connection works as and when it wants - sometimes I cannot log on when the lap-top is next to the router - only a yellow wire connection works!

Thanks again, your advice made me think before delivery
- and saved me from buying a pc not fit for my purpose.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
This is the challenge with Apple. Many of us have software that we use, and that won't have an Apple version available.

You have several options:

1. don't touch the new laptop but ask the shop if they have a demo Apple system you can try to load the Family Tree software on, using the Windows compatibility partition. It may work there, should work there. Snow Leopard [the operating system] promotes Windows compatibility.

2. if the shop doesn't have such a system in normal circumstances I'd make the sale on the basis that the software WILL work in that partition. In your case you have the system already so probably can't do that.

3. you could drop the Family tree software and migrate your tree to GenesReunited, Ancestry, or one of the other on line family tree systems. I have bits of trees on all those plus Family Tree Maker. [not a recommended option to spread the tree around!]

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan