my OH I am sure has dementia not diagnosed but doctor has put him on Donapezil

janet m

Oct 2, 2017
we live for a time with our son & family & sometimes in Spain in a static caravan - now Brexit is causing us a problem --my husband thinks he can stay in Spain but he doesn't want to take out residency( I am not sure we could take it out as he cannot now write his name & I have LPA in this country but it doesn't work in Spain) so we will have to come back to UK which then we are homeless and will have to ask the council for somewhere to stay.

how can i tell him he is not right !!! he has always decided what we do but now it is me & it doesn't go down very well. Remembering ---- I have got the photos out to sort thro & so far he doesn't remember anything. How do you tell someone something they do not (or it seems ).understand. sometimes he seems really lucid but really not sure. He whispers when he talks and as I am hard of hearing it than makes him shout
perhaps I just have to go & take the bull by the horn.

Just had to write it down to see if i can make any sense of it .

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
Would you be able to take out residency for both of you to enable you to stay in Spain?

I don’t know anything about living in Spain I’m sure someone with more knowledge will be able to help you on here soon.

It’s so difficult dealing with someone who doesn’t understand things but it’s impossible to make them understand it’s so frustrating.

Oh hope you get some advice soon.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think you just have to go ahead and take whatever action is required in order to achieve what you need. Sounds like you cannot take out residency on his behalf, but I would check to see if there is a way round this. If not, you will need to make arrangements to the UK. I wouldn't discuss it at all, you cannot make him understand, he will continue to argue about it because he cannot grasp the issues, and anyway he won't remember what has been said. You just have to take over the decision-making and present it to him in whatever way makes it easiest - e.g. tell him you're returning to the UK for a visit. Otherwise you will just be going round in circles with both of you getting stressed out.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Maybe you need to wait and see what happens about Brexit before you decide anything though if possible to get residency sounds a good idea. There are many people who are not from Europe who live in countries like Spain, France, Italy etc so it would seem to me that the rules that apply to them would apply to you after Brexit.

Maybe your son knows some expats from nonEuropean countries who could tell you what they need to do to remain in Spain.