My new status

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
if it all seems very big, try something small first. A day or a weekend before September...something little could lead to some wonderful trips :)

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
I went to England from Australia last year, ten months after my husband died. I stayed with cousins and had a Trafalgar tour that included Ireland and Scotland. When I booked it I was terrified but it turned out really well. No, I didn't make any lifetime friends but another couple of widows, both American, were friendly and we did some walking and talking together.

It is only five days, in a country you have always wanted to visit. Go for it.

Sue.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
All on the back burner. I am having heart problems and tests so cannot book anything. Should get results in about two weeks.
I am fine one day and ill the next, seems to be a pattern. Think it is partly down to stress but that is just my opinion

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Received the grant gof probate yesterday so sent off the necessary documents to insurance company. Not much more to do now.

When I went to swear my oath at a solicitors it turned out she and her children used to say hallo to my husband when he went for his afternoon walk.

The school is next door to us, and he used to love going when the children were on their way home.

She said she had missed him and I was able to tell her how much he enjoyed the children.

If I can get this "heart" problem sorted I will definitely push the button for Iceland.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I do hope your heart problems are `cosmetic` Jeanette.

I know these problems began when Gordon was still with you but also know from experience how health issues can escalate once the responsibilities for caring end.

When my mother was `off my hands` I developed severe eczema. When Dhiren went into residential care my back problems accelerated.

It`s as if we can afford to be ill.

Eternity

Jul 17, 2013
London
Hello Jeanette, I'm glad you started this post too.

Catching up on your thread late. I'm sorry to hear of the heart problems and tests you have to do. I hope the tests do come back clear and Iceland is booked soon. It sounds wonderful

x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello Jeanette. I have what is probably a heart problem on the back burner which I guess I must take forward once this eye op is recovered from (if it ever is!) but is obviously nothing compared to your's. The GP said I had enough to be putting up with a year or so ago when it came up! An odd thing to say I thought!

I do hope your's is none too serious and will not prevent you going to Ieland, even if perhaps not this particular holiday.
I have written more but perhaps it is more suited to my own thread as I wanted to cheer you not to send you into a decline!

I'm glad you have at last got the probate completed. A tuning point I hope.
Onwards and upwards. xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hello Jeanette

Another burden for you -but I hope the test results come back as you want them

I think that after a loss our bodies go into melt down with the stress of it all. I hope it's nothing serious. Well done for deciding to 'push the button' if the tests come back ok.

How lovely that your solicitor missed Gordon; and what a sympathetic person to say so

Take care my lovely

Thinking of you

Lyn T XXXX

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Week two of trying to lower my cholesterol. Two new recipes last week, one a success one a disaster. Today I am trying a third.

I just donot want to go onto statins.

Should get some results next week re possible treatment fir my heart problems, and may then be able to do something about Iceland forChristmas

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I refused statins Jeanette because I have so much joint pain.

You have been struggling for such a long time to lower your cholesterol, I`ve stopped asking what mine is.

Full marks for trying new recipes. :)

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I got a lecture off the head gp ofmy practice last week!

I will find out next week what it is, as I am seeing my own gp then.

I understand why you refused them Sylvia

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Well what a disaster. It looked lovely, tasted horrible, but I persevered and half way through I was violently sick!

That's so disappointing. To look lovely and taste so awful that it made you ick......

My guess is you wont try that one again..... :rolleyes:

Olive oil for everything that needs roasting. For a change and when it's on offer.. Walnut oil.

"Butter" made with olive oil.

1/4 teaspoon of cumin in any meat dish - I think it tastes like pepper so adjust to your taste....

These are a few things we use to try to keep our levels low.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I love Cumin. I didn`t realise it is good for us as well.

If you like the flavour, cauliflower sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with Cumin and roasted, is delicious.

As are chicken fillets.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Good things to eat to help lower cholesterol

Spinach
Garlic
Avocado
Beans
Tea
Chicken
Salmon and other fatty fish
Oats
Nuts - walnuts, almonds, cashews

Nuts very fattening so use sensibly - 1.5oz (recommended amount) = 1 filled shot glass

and my two favourites....

Dark Chocolate and red wine - a Rioja

A recipe. Hope it doesn't make you sick :eek: :D

Chicken in Red Wine

4 1/2 oz angel hair pasta, uncooked
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb chicken breast
2 tsp minced garlic
3/4 Cup thinly sliced onions
(3/4 cup = 1 medium onion)
1/2 Cup dry red wine
1/2 Cup orange juice

Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Brown the chicken, garlic, and onions for about 10 minutes or until tender. Add the wine and orange juice and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over the pasta.

Cooking the wine removes a lot of the alcohol ..... not sure if that's good news or bad :D

The cumin could be "sprinkled" but I don't in this recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I love Cumin. I didn`t realise it is good for us as well.

If you like the flavour, cauliflower sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with Cumin and roasted, is delicious.

As are chicken fillets.

That's the only way my son will eat cauliflower, he hates it boiled but I discovered the Hairy Bikers Saag Aloo (spinach) with roasted Gobi (Cauliflower) curry and he ate all the cauli before I got it into the curry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/saag_aloo_with_roasted_95304

I don't know how cholesterol friendly it is but I leave out the salt, use yellow mustard seeds as I have trouble buying black ones and always use cumin seeds as well.

It tastes healthy:eek:

My favourites are the same as yours 2jays, I am blessed with a healthy palette...Dark chocolate and dark red Merlot or Shiraz or Malbec or Cabernet Sauvignon or.....

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
With no clear diagnosis about my heart I have come to the conclusion that I cannot consider Iceland at the moment. I probably would not get travel insurance anyway.

However this morning I have booked to go to St. Mawes in Cornwall from Dec 23rd fir 5 days. Am going with an old school friend by coach.

I have never been to Cornwall so it will be something quite new.

Also this weekend I am going with another friend to Sheringham and taking some of Gordon,s ashes to leave there. It is a well visited place by Gordon and I.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry about Iceland Jeanette but there are always alternatives. I see it solves the Christmas problem for you. :)

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Maybe not a good time anyway Jeanette, I'm sure I read that there's another Volcano poised to erupt. :eek:

I have never been to Cornwall, I have always longed to go but up to now (hope springs eternal) I haven't managed to get there.
What a wonderful place to spend Christmas.

Sheringham? that's on the Seaside isn't it? I hope you have a peaceful, comforting day and come home feeling jiggered by the fresh sea air but comforted by the gift and respect you've given to your darling Gordon.

I hope you feel healthier and stronger soon, loads of love XXX