My new rollercoaster life

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
I'm trying a new approach - when someone in the village said to me today "sorry to hear you've lost your husband" I answered "Its irresponsible of me to lose him I know but I'm about to notify the police" I expect I will get a dreadful reputation for being "very odd" and not be invited to anything again. Well I tried humour for a change. Seems you can't win.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
How funny! People don't expect humour as a response. If only they knew that sometimes we need to laugh as well. Being sad is very tiring!

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
But Jan - seems you cannot win - if you laugh they assume you are not grieving anymore. If you are still sad and don't laugh they adopt the attitude "pull yourself together". I find it all extremely confusing so find myself tending to avoid people now just so that I don't have to adopt an attitude for their sake that I might not actually be feeling. Happier at home with the dog just poddling about laughing or crying when I feel like it. Roll on Launde!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
But Jan - seems you cannot win - if you laugh they assume you are not grieving anymore. If you are still sad and don't laugh they adopt the attitude "pull yourself together". I find it all extremely confusing so find myself tending to avoid people now just so that I don't have to adopt an attitude for their sake that I might not actually be feeling. Happier at home with the dog just poddling about laughing or crying when I feel like it. Roll on Launde!

Laughing NOT allowed according to my NASTY, NASTY neighbour (I've posted about him before) I was speaking to another neighbour who had lost her Husband on Boxing day (not dementia-liver failure because of alcohol abuse) We were laughing about something and my neighbour walked by and said 'you ARE merry widows aren't you!'.

Speechless!!!!!