• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

My new rollercoaster life

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
I'm trying a new approach - when someone in the village said to me today "sorry to hear you've lost your husband" I answered "Its irresponsible of me to lose him I know but I'm about to notify the police" I expect I will get a dreadful reputation for being "very odd" and not be invited to anything again. Well I tried humour for a change. Seems you can't win.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
How funny! People don't expect humour as a response. If only they knew that sometimes we need to laugh as well. Being sad is very tiring!

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
But Jan - seems you cannot win - if you laugh they assume you are not grieving anymore. If you are still sad and don't laugh they adopt the attitude "pull yourself together". I find it all extremely confusing so find myself tending to avoid people now just so that I don't have to adopt an attitude for their sake that I might not actually be feeling. Happier at home with the dog just poddling about laughing or crying when I feel like it. Roll on Launde!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
But Jan - seems you cannot win - if you laugh they assume you are not grieving anymore. If you are still sad and don't laugh they adopt the attitude "pull yourself together". I find it all extremely confusing so find myself tending to avoid people now just so that I don't have to adopt an attitude for their sake that I might not actually be feeling. Happier at home with the dog just poddling about laughing or crying when I feel like it. Roll on Launde!
Laughing NOT allowed according to my NASTY, NASTY neighbour (I've posted about him before) I was speaking to another neighbour who had lost her Husband on Boxing day (not dementia-liver failure because of alcohol abuse) We were laughing about something and my neighbour walked by and said 'you ARE merry widows aren't you!'.

Speechless!!!!!