My new rollercoaster life

Discussion in 'After dementia — dealing with loss' started by jan.s, May 10, 2015.

1. WIFE

WIFE Registered User

May 23, 2014
    WEST SUSSEX
    I'm trying a new approach - when someone in the village said to me today "sorry to hear you've lost your husband" I answered "Its irresponsible of me to lose him I know but I'm about to notify the police" I expect I will get a dreadful reputation for being "very odd" and not be invited to anything again. Well I tried humour for a change. Seems you can't win.

2. jan.s

jan.s Registered User

Sep 20, 2011
    How funny! People don't expect humour as a response. If only they knew that sometimes we need to laugh as well. Being sad is very tiring!

3. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    With mother it is Saturday...........she hates Saturdays.

4. WIFE

WIFE Registered User

May 23, 2014
    WEST SUSSEX
    But Jan - seems you cannot win - if you laugh they assume you are not grieving anymore. If you are still sad and don't laugh they adopt the attitude "pull yourself together". I find it all extremely confusing so find myself tending to avoid people now just so that I don't have to adopt an attitude for their sake that I might not actually be feeling. Happier at home with the dog just poddling about laughing or crying when I feel like it. Roll on Launde!

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Apart from the dog I know just how you feel. :)

6. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    Laughing NOT allowed according to my NASTY, NASTY neighbour (I've posted about him before) I was speaking to another neighbour who had lost her Husband on Boxing day (not dementia-liver failure because of alcohol abuse) We were laughing about something and my neighbour walked by and said 'you ARE merry widows aren't you!'.

Speechless!!!!!