My Neighbour Diagnosed with Alzheimers and still driving

Mistyblue

Aug 27, 2013
I am very concernced about a year ago my neighbour was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease and after getting lost driving and not being able to find hiw way home the GP decided to inform the DVLA that he should not be driving. SO the DVLA ordered him to return his licence and he was not to drive. 1 of his sons about 5 months later sold his car as they feld he was a threat on the road. Once his car had gone he started taking his wifes car. I told him that he is not insureed and he wasnt beng fair on other road users if he had an accident. He just does not understand or get it he says hes ok hes been driving for years. this went on for a few months him drigin his wife car. At the weekend he tells me he has purchased a new car I told him with disgust he shouldnt be driving and again he doesnt get it. He is a menace on the road my neighbout told me that he was speeding aruond the smallest of bends and was oblivious to others. I dont want to report him to the police and get him in terible trouble and nor do I want him to stay on the road and maybe kill someone. Please help I dont know how to tackle this? thank you

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Talking to him won't work, the family have tried but he's still driving. In all honesty, just call the police before this man (no fault of his own it's his illness) will seriously hurt himself or someone else.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
PS He won't get into serious trouble, the police are aware of Alzheimer's but they SHOULD be able to help. The easiest way forward is for the family to hide his keys. I'd try talking to the family first, not the man, that won't work, but the family. Families feel very guilty when stopping loved ones to drive but if they can''t help, then as I said, I'd call the police.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
If the DVLA have his licence then he is breaking the law. he will not be insured either. So if he hurts anyone, or if he damages property there is no insurance cover.

Yes start by talking to the wife or sons, and if nothing happens then you must inform the police.

As has been said he will not get into big trouble, not as if he is doing it with full understanding, but he should be treated with compassion,. I amnot sure how he managed to buy a car of his own, he must have some capacity to do that.

Jeannette

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
It might be helpful if you could make some suggestions about how to manage the situation. For example get a crook lock that is visible before he even tries to enter the car. They could have a key safe installed and keep the car keys in there so cannot access them. It is hard to believe that he is still driving and does make you wonder what the family are doing to try and prevent it.

If you have a camera or a mobile phone with a camera on, then take a picture next time you see him driving. This is useful evidence for the police should you have to contact them.

Although unlikely, don't rule out the fact that he may have attended a drivers assessment and passed it! Afterall, a diagnosis does not automatically result in a driving ban. It does however mean you have to declare your illness to the DVLA and demonstrate to them that you are still fit to drive as the case may be.

I wouldn't wait long before speaking to the police as every time he drives that car there is a risk that he has an accident and maims someone or even worse, kills them. How would his family feel then? Although he doesn't have insurance, he could lose his home if someone gets seriously injured and makes a civil claim etc.

Fiona

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
One in 40 drivers 'without licence'

The AA says most unlicensed drivers "tend to be male and younger"

As many as 800,000 unlicensed drivers are on the road and the "frightening" number is likely to rise, according to a study. Motorists' organisation the Automobile Association (AA) says offenders include drivers who have been disqualified, those holding only provisional licences and those who have never had a licence at all. The numbers could be swelled by those too ashamed to admit to family and friends that they failed their driving test, the AA said

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks for that Trigger and if I come across any I'll be recommending the family take them off the road or call the police too.

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
I think you could be very busy Noorza

NEARLY 150 gypsies have been stripped of their driving licences after allegedly paying a gang to take their tests for them.Undercover investigators say they have smashed the small group of criminals who had passed theory and practical exams for the Irish travellers.The 147 learners paid around £500 per test, meaning the alleged crooks pocketed roughly £150,000 in the scam.
The Driving Standards Agency has charged two women and one man with conspiracy to commit fraud and they are expected to be prosecuted this year. They have allegedly fled their homes after angry gypsies demanded refunds.Officials at the DSA believe the small gang impersonated the travellers at test centres around the country.For legal reasons the defendants, who are not members of the travelling community, cannot be identified. Cars are status symbols in traveller culture and feature prominently in C4 reality show My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.One of the stars, Paddy Doherty, the boss of a trailer park in Salford, Greater Manchester, said: “Cars, vans, trucks and caravans are very important to travellers. If you have a nice car you feel good. If you’re driving a heap of scrap you don’t feel good.”The DSA thinks that every year roughly 5,000 fraudsters – including many who have never had a driving lesson – pay people to pass tests for them.
An agency spokeswoman said she could not comment on this case because the investigation is ongoing. The Mirror has previously told how scammers wear elaborate disguises including rubber masks to con staff at test centres.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I used to dream I was driving a car and I have never passed or sat a test. I never really wanted to drive, but it was a recurring dream for many months. Glad to say it has stopped now .

I nearly put what Fiona put about having an accident without insurance seriously injuring someone and possibly losing their home. I had these worries for a while when my husband insisted on driving and had been diagnosed. Thankfully we managed to sell the car quite quickly and he was capable of organising another one.

Jeannette

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa