My name is Sue and my Mum has dementia

Sue56

Mar 16, 2020
My Mum has dementia and has been in a care home for two years. At a recent relatives meeting the manager said that they wanted to start a Facebook page and would be sending a letter to relatives re permission for posting our relatives' photos on the page. They intended to send out a letter that you could return if you did not want your parent's picture used but that if people didn't return the letters the home would assume that permission was granted. I stated at this meeting, and was backed up by other relatives, that they can't assume that no response means permission is given. I said that both options should be included in the letter ie to opt in or opt out. They accepted what was said. This morning I received a letter about the page saying that if I didn't want Mum's pictures used I should return the opt out letter but that if I didn't respond they'd assume permission was given. Is this the right way to approach this? Surely they can't assume no response means yes!! I'd be grateful for some advice please.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My Mum has dementia and has been in a care home for two years. At a recent relatives meeting the manager said that they wanted to start a Facebook page and would be sending a letter to relatives re permission for posting our relatives' photos on the page. They intended to send out a letter that you could return if you did not want your parent's picture used but that if people didn't return the letters the home would assume that permission was granted. I stated at this meeting, and was backed up by other relatives, that they can't assume that no response means permission is given. I said that both options should be included in the letter ie to opt in or opt out. They accepted what was said. This morning I received a letter about the page saying that if I didn't want Mum's pictures used I should return the opt out letter but that if I didn't respond they'd assume permission was given. Is this the right way to approach this? Surely they can't assume no response means yes!! I'd be grateful for some advice please.
When my mother-in-law was in a care home, they had a Facebook page and this was the system you've just described which was in use. I didn't have a problem with this and didn't return the opt out letter . Not sure whether this is standard practice everywhere

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother's care home asked me to opt in. Like schools it must be tricky to know who has opted in our out though. I'm happy with mum appearing on the Facebook page. It helps me see what she's up to, and the Home would never post pictures that showed their residents in an embarrassing situation. After all it is in their interests for the place to look like it is taking care of people.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Sue56 and welcome to the community. I am not sure that I understand the issue. If you are happy for photosof your Mum to appear on the page that is fine and no action is required. If you aren't happy then return the opt out letter. I have found photos of my wife enjoying herself to be comforting as she is not always in the best mood when I visit. Now that visiting is not possible I rather wish that there was a way for me to continue to see photos but her home does not have a social media presence.