My mum's carer is in hospital.

Giles n Daphne

Nov 10, 2016
My mum lives with my step-father who cares for her in their home. Unfortunately, he has been admitted to hospital and is likely to be in for sometime. My brother and I are caring for mum at the moment between us. He lives and works about an hour from mum and we live about half way between them. At the moment he is sleeping at mum's house and dropping her at our house on the way to work and picking her up on the way back. This would work okay except mum is very confused and agitated at our house and wants to go home. My brother and I have made the decision that we can't leave her in her house all day and, though my wife and I are retired, we look after our granddaughter and have dogs so we can't just go over to her house and stay with her there. It is unlikely that mum could phone for help if she needed to. Has anyone got any suggestions on how we could help her to stay safe in her own home? My brother will continue to stay overnight.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Urgently contact Social Services. They have a duty of care for a vulnerable adult at risk. They can put a care package together that consists of daily carers, day care or maybe respite in a care home until your stepdad comes back from hospital. He will need a lot of support once he's home too so he can get better, so you really must bring the situation to their attention.

I think the current arrangement may be too confusing for your mother. PWDs need continuity more than anything. You've done what you needed to, and I understand why it's not working any other way, but the constant toing and froing is probably not helping.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
I agree with Beate, when my Dad was admitted to hospital, I took my Mum home with me, she was confused and frightened, so I returned her to their bungalow, I stayed overnight, which was horrendous as she didn't know who I was, there was one night I couldn't stay with her, I said I would see her next morning having put her to bed the night before, when I got there the next morning, I found her cowering behind the bedroom door. That's when I realised how bad things had got and how much my dad was hiding from me. It wasn't long after this that mum ended up in a care home permanently. Respite care would be a good option for you xx

Ange