My mum's address - care home or care of me as Power of Attorney?

Anotherdamnlol

May 2, 2015
Mum moved into care home and now I have rented her flat out to raise funds. What do I do about her post? Do I register her care home address as her address for pension, HMRC, investments etc or do I give my address as Power of Attorney? The post to her care home will just stress her out and may go missing. Better if her post comes to my house but am I allowed to do that if she doesn't live here?

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
Mum moved into care home and now I have rented her flat out to raise funds. What do I do about her post? Do I register her care home address as her address for pension, HMRC, investments etc or do I give my address as Power of Attorney? The post to her care home will just stress her out and may go missing. Better if her post comes to my house but am I allowed to do that if she doesn't live here?

I have just had to do this for my mum. I wrote a letter saying she was in residential care and could her post come to my address. I enclosed a copy of the POA. I have encountered problems with a couple of banks but I have just received the original POA from mum's solicitors and I have to take it into the banks with ID etc. Everyone else accepted my letter.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've used my address for banks pensions etc. I need the post to deal with if and mum would get confused or lose it. Bad enough trying to locate Drs letter which do go to her.

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
I think as long as you have applied the POA with the DWP, inland revenue, private pensions, bank etc, the post can be sent to your addresss. My Mum is now in a care home and. I am contacting everyone letting them know that Mums correspondence should now be sent to my address. This has all gone very straight forwardly. It's alls learning curve isn't it. Good luck

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I arranged for all Mum's commercial mail ( Banks, DWP Docs etc) to come to her@ my address. Her social mail ( cards letters) could go to her at the CH because her home's secretary would pass it to me as I went in to visit and could read it to her. That way she still got the pleasure of opening a letter or card.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
I wonder about this too sometimes, (when she ever goes) but I remember my gran used to get all her mail sent to the lawyer, (but then again granny could afford the lawyer)

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I wonder about this too sometimes, (when she ever goes) but I remember my gran used to get all her mail sent to the lawyer, (but then again granny could afford the lawyer)

I dread to think what that would cost for a lawyer to deal with, at heaven knows what per hour!

Even before she went into her CH all my mother's mail was redirected to my brother, who had P of A with my elder sister. My mother was by then incapable of dealing with anything, and important stuff could easily have been lost, thrown out, or hidden. He visited often and would take anything non-important or 'harmless' for her to read.

Anotherdamnlol

May 2, 2015
Thank you so much for this advice. I have done the Royal Mail redirection and as each mail comes in I will send a change of address to my address.

Thank you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts