My Mum

finequine

Oct 29, 2015
Grampian, Scotland
My Mum is also immobile, completely unable to move herself/change position. She has eating drinking problems, incontinence, what she says makes no sense/does not relate to what is being said, has frequent infections, does not know me, and at times confuses Dad with her own father. When I suggested that she may be in the latter stage of Alzheimer's, nurses and the ward doctor were horrified.

Am I totally misreading things?

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello finequine,
Welcome to Talking Point. I have messaged you to say I have moved your post to this thread where I hope you will get more support.

My husband went through several years of confusion, frequent infections, difficulty swallowing and incontinence and the medical profession would not have agreed he was in final stages. Yes maybe late stage but not necessarily final.

It is indeed a very difficult time. I do believe sufferers at this stage do appreciate that feeling of love and comfort when someone who cares is near to them. Holding hands, gently stroking them, maybe pleasant music, showing photographs - all these things give comfort although it may not seem to be appreciated.

Please post more about things that trouble you as many members have similar experiences and hopefully will help you through this difficult path.
Best wishes

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My Mum is also immobile, completely unable to move herself/change position. She has eating drinking problems, incontinence, what she says makes no sense/does not relate to what is being said, has frequent infections, does not know me, and at times confuses Dad with her own father. When I suggested that she may be in the latter stage of Alzheimer's, nurses and the ward doctor were horrified.

About phases, there is a post about it:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1062102

In my opinion, You mother is still "moderate" as she speaks and you can understand what she is saying and She still remember her father. Of course she has some "severe" issues as movement and eating.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds

Hello finequine and welcome to TP :)

Just to clarify....has your mum been diagnosed with Alzheimer's? I ask this as from your post I cannot tell whether she also suffers from another major condition such as motor neurone disease or stroke. If so, many of her physical problems may be attributable to that?

Regarding Alzheimer's, it's interesting that she sometimes confuses your dad with her own dad. That wouldn't necessarily put her in the latter stages - my mum does the same, and she is fairly mobile with supervision.

I think it might help people here if you could explain a bit more about the situation? Everyone is so different, it's hard to know what stage a person is at.

All the best

Lindy xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Just seen from another post that your dad has Alzheimer's. You have your hands full!

How is your dad doing? X